Ich

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about ich. My yellow tang gets ich at night but by 10-11 in the morning there are absolutly no signs of it on him. So im confused

carl page

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp... other then QT and o'clock treatment it may come back..pessky sometimes. Shrimp is Cool to watch as her cleans ick.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think its Ich then. What do you see on him that makes you think he's got Ich? At night when the lights are out, they appear to have a big white patch on their sides, but thats normal.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think its Ich then. What do you see on him that makes you think he's got Ich? At night when the lights are out, they appear to have a big white patch on their sides, but thats normal.

They look alomost like grains of sand

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What could it possibly be

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp... other then QT and o'clock treatment it may come back..pessky sometimes. Shrimp is Cool to watch as her cleans ick.
]

Unfortunately that is incorrect.....both Cleaner Wrasses and cleaner shrimp won't do anything to help with Ich. I wish they would though :)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
]

Unfortunately that is incorrect.....both Cleaner Wrasses and cleaner shrimp won't do anything to help with Ich. I wish they would though :)
They do in a sense, they pick the parasite off the fish, but can't stop it from coming back.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could it possibly be
One here and one there? Or do you have a bunch on the fish. I re-read your original post, and one spec doesn't constitute Ich. I'd leave em be, watch em and keep em fed.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One here and one there? Or do you have a bunch on the fish. I re-read your original post, and one spec doesn't constitute Ich. I'd leave em be, watch em and keep em fed.

There is one here and there and he is still eating like crazy

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The doesnt scratch upin the rocks like ive fish with ich do

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be cautious and observe it for a period of time before adding another fish. As reefing said, it doesn't sound like ich based on your description - a picture might help

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be cautious and observe it for a period of time before adding another fish. As reefing said, it doesn't sound like ich based on your description - a picture might help

I'll get one first thing tomorrow morning he's in his cave right now

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you very well may be seeing is a grain of sand or two on the fish. Especially if you have a goby or something that likes to kick up sand in your tank.

As for cleaner shrimp/wrasses being able to "pick the parasite off the fish"; that's simply not possible. Ich trophonts (i.e. the white dots) embed themselves completely into the epithelium under a layer of skin. That makes them out of reach for cleaning shrimp/wrasses. The white dots you see on the fish are just excess mucous built up around the insertion point. The parasites themselves are invisible to the naked eye. The cleaner may be able to eat away at the mucous, the same way it is able to eat dead skin/Lymphocystis growths.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do in a sense, they pick the parasite off the fish, but can't stop it from coming back.

I respectfully disagree......actually, they don't even do that. I have done a ton of research hoping that they would help in some way but could not find anything. I have read articles where they looked in the stomach of cleaner wrasses and found everything but the parasites. They may knock the parasite off while picking at damaged scales and skin but that is it.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got these pics
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418215336.718851.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418215371.102439.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything. ?? He looks pretty good from those pics.

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine from the pics? Possibly see a bit of cauliflower on the fin.. typically goes away on its own when stress is reduce and feeding is regular - seaweed does wonders for tangs

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the fist pic, what's that on the pectoral fin?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back