Ich?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Blue and powder blue in QT. Pretty sure this is ich?
Just got home from work. They are eating.

20191122_201946.jpg 20191122_201744.jpg 20191122_201707.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They had them in lfs for about 2 weeks. Had them in QT for about 4 days
Your tank must have had it then. Livestock can be resistant to it. My tank had ich, velvet, mystery diseases, I wasn’t in a position to treat the whole tank, most fish survived and don’t show any signs. I added new fish since that and they never showed any signs but I waited several months before risking that.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Your tank must have had it then. Livestock can be resistant to it. My tank had ich, velvet, mystery diseases, I wasn’t in a position to treat the whole tank, most fish survived and don’t show any signs. I added new fish since that and they never showed any signs but I waited several months before risking that.
I've had my clowns and starry for about 1.5 years. I got a ruby longfin for more than 2 months, and all have not shown any sign of disease

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Hemmdog it looks like ich. I just assume that every fish that comes through the collection/distribution process is carrying the parasite whether it is visible or not. Many LFS run copper in their systems that helps mask this, but the fish still have them. The stress of the transport process, netting them, acclimating them etc etc gradually weakens their immune system and already thin slime coat until they break out.

Assuming they are only suffering from ich, they will likely survive and enjoy some level of immunity for a while. I follow the @Paul B philosophy of just feeding them the absolute highest quality raw foods along with nori. Unless your QT has some tasty algae growing in there you will need to supplement with some algae sheets or quality herbivore food.

Also shorten the light cycle so they spend more time resting.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Agree with @Hemmdog it looks like ich. I just assume that every fish that comes through the collection/distribution process is carrying the parasite whether it is visible or not. Many LFS run copper in their systems that helps mask this, but the fish still have them. The stress of the transport process, netting them, acclimating them etc etc gradually weakens their immune system and already thin slime coat until they break out.

Assuming they are only suffering from ich, they will likely survive and enjoy some level of immunity for a while. I follow the @Paul B philosophy of just feeding them the absolute highest quality raw foods along with nori. Unless your QT has some tasty algae growing in there you will need to supplement with some algae sheets or quality herbivore food.

Also shorten the light cycle so they spend more time resting.
I just set up the qt. I asked my lfs and say they they run copper, which masked it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the qt. I asked my lfs and say they they run copper, which masked it.

Yeah, it is pretty common practise. Two out of three local stores here run copper & prazi. Having fish live in water that is only mildly toxic just does not jive for me personally.

If you can grab some live clams and throw them in the freezer overnight, then chop them up (by hand) you will be feeding the most nutrient loaded flesh & guts available. Soak some nori in Selcon. And pray those two don't aggravate each other in QT. Fighting will finish one or both of them.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Yeah, it is pretty common practise. Two out of three local stores here run copper & prazi. Having fish live in water that is only mildly toxic just does not jive for me personally.

If you can grab some live clams and throw them in the freezer overnight, then chop them up (by hand) you will be feeding the most nutrient loaded flesh & guts available. Soak some nori in Selcon. And pray those two don't aggravate each other in QT. Fighting will finish one or both of them.

The powder blue is more of a bully to the blue which is slightly smaller. They are hanging out together in the new QT tank.

I was using my nuvo 30long which I don't want to use copper in.

I did a fresh water dip for them, then put on At with copper. Will slowly ramp it up.

It seemed a lot of the ich dropped off prior to the fresh water dip.

Hopefully it didn't hide in my fairy wrasse that I QTed earlier. He didn't show ant signs of ich and is with my clowns in a DT

20191123_131643.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back