ICH

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to transfer new fish to an old very established bare bottom tank that has fake rock and only fish in it. My new firefish has ICH which means my blue spot and blenny also have ICH. So the question is can I turn my old tank into a quarantine tank? It has an established bacteria and I’m guessing copepod/amphipod population so copper will kill all of that. I would like to dose the two clownfish in that tank as well which will prepare them for the new tank. Plan is to keep all fish there until a 76 fallow period of the new tank. Any thoughts on turning an old running established tank into a fish only QT? Will I be risking too much of a ammonia spike from the die off from meds?

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ya just use it as a qurinteen tank if you intend to keep it that way

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. It matters because a copper treatment (as well as other treatments) will kill inverts including your corals.

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. It matters because a copper treatment (as well as other treatments) will kill inverts including your corals.
Oh wow okay, good to know for the future that’s why I love reading these forums since I’m a bit new to the hobby and trying to gain info

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked so he did not treat than not drain tank and clean it out and do something like put corals in it with copper. just trying be helpful.
Good to know I was just wondering because I didn’t know the meds will kill inverts and corals. Learn something new everyday

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know I was just wondering because I didn’t know the meds will kill inverts and corals. Learn something new everyday
yeah copper will wipe em and some other harsh treatments for fish. its important to see if a treatment is reef safe.

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah copper will wipe em and some other harsh treatments for fish. its important to see if a treatment is reef safe.
Okay, i fortunately haven’t dealt with ich in my reef tank only in my 20 gallon betta tank, I isolated her and medicated she was good to go after 4-7 days.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d monitor your copper levels if you keep the fake rock. Treatment needs to be at therapeutic levels whole time to be effective and you don’t want any absorption. Not sure if the fake rock will suck up copper but just something to think about. No chemical filtration too.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back