Ich

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have a ich breakout and it has been about a week or so. The visual spots come and go, but the fish themselves are playful, eating well, and seem okay to this point. I can’t catch them and put them in QT, and even trying would stress them out more. So my question is, should I just keep feeding them well and hope I don’t wake up to a bunch of very ill fish? I ordered CP, but no way it will get here in time. My vet said he can do treatment, but will be Monday and I have to catch one and bring in water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So have a ich breakout and it has been about a week or so. The visual spots come and go, but the fish themselves are playful, eating well, and seem okay to this point. I can’t catch them and put them in QT, and even trying would stress them out more. So my question is, should I just keep feeding them well and hope I don’t wake up to a bunch of very ill fish? I ordered CP, but no way it will get here in time. My vet said he can do treatment, but will be Monday and I have to catch one and bring in water.
Please provide pics under white lighting to verify what you have going on. If indeed ich, food will not cure it and also is tank fish only or fish with coral?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can be tricky - the spots come and go and may even go away for a time, but in many cases, it returns as a full blown infection.
Ich management works in some cases: a powerful UV, good diet and good water. Siphoning the sand off early in the morning helps reduce the reproductive stage.
Jay

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide pics under white lighting to verify what you have going on. If indeed ich, food will not cure it and also is tank fish only or fish with coral?
It’s definitely ich.
Tank is fish and coral. Don’t have white lite pic right now, but I’m about 99% it’s ich. With the coral and inverts, can’t use copper. No way I could get them all in qt. Just getting one I destroyed three coral. If they can make it until Monday I can go to the university vet. If it’s not too late.

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can be tricky - the spots come and go and may even go away for a time, but in many cases, it returns as a full blown infection.
Ich management works in some cases: a powerful UV, good diet and good water. Siphoning the sand off early in the morning helps reduce the reproductive stage.
Jay
I do have good uv, and think that’s why it’s been at bay for the week. But getting worse. They are acting happy, eating well. I’m feeding verity of foods, omegas, and vitamins. I can siphon sand in the morning if that will help. I’ve just been trying to to freak them out much. Lots of seaweed also. Like I mentioned, I can take one to the vet with a water sample Monday, if it’s not too late by then.

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• F59103F5-FC81-4DBC-B609-6C00DD219C07.jpeg
    F59103F5-FC81-4DBC-B609-6C00DD219C07.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 39

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its cryptocaryon and some mucus cones associated with Marine ich. A quarantine is a must as you cant treat with copper nor resort to hyposalinity with Inverts and coral in the tank. A used tank or member with local club that can spare one will be cheaper option . This will not go away nor will UV erase it- UV addresses what passes through it column. Ich management is a gamble and sometime works and sometimes not.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same position as you six weeks ago as our blue tang came down with it from head to fin and removing the fish was not possible. Obviously treatment in the tank wasn't an option either so after a ton of research I jumped on the hydrogen peroxide ban wagon with heavy feedings soaked in garlic and crossed my fingers. We have five tangs and a foxface that have all been in the system for well over a year together with no new additions to the tank at all so I have no idea where it came. All I do know is none of the other tangs got it and the blue has been spot free for over a month. Oh and I didn't lose a single stick through the whole process.

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same position as you six weeks ago as our blue tang came down with it from head to fin and removing the fish was not possible. Obviously treatment in the tank wasn't an option either so after a ton of research I jumped on the hydrogen peroxide ban wagon with heavy feedings soaked in garlic and crossed my fingers. We have five tangs and a foxface that have all been in the system for well over a year together with no new additions to the tank at all so I have no idea where it came. All I do know is none of the other tangs got it and the blue has been spot free for over a month. Oh and I didn't lose a single stick through the whole process.
Hydrogen peroxide?? What did you do?

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cryptocaryon and some mucus cones associated with Marine ich. A quarantine is a must as you cant treat with copper nor resort to hyposalinity with Inverts and coral in the tank. A used tank or member with local club that can spare one will be cheaper option . This will not go away nor will UV erase it- UV addresses what passes through it column. Ich management is a gamble and sometime works and sometimes not.
I have another tank in the other room that’s empty. I can clean it out in the morning and treat with ich-x. I just have to catch them all, which is tough.

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just about all my fish now except filefish and leopard wrasse

OP
OP
nathanb25

nathanb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another tank in the other room that’s empty. I can clean it out in the morning and treat with ich-x. I just have to catch them all, which is tough.
Another interesting thing, my peppermint and fire shrimp seem to be helping the fish. The fish, tangs more than any, go to the shrimp and the shrimp seem to be removing or eating the spots.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back