Ick treatment in Qt

Reef Mamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.. Any help greatly appreciated.. I have a mccosker's fairy wrasse and yellow watchmen goby in qt currently. They have been under observation with no medication. After a full tank wipeout earlier this year thanks to ick we have Qt all our new additions. This evening we noticed two white specks on the wrasse. top fin and back fin. Looks like a spec of sand, but impossible since no sand in the tank. He has ben easting and behaving absolutely normal. The only medicine I have on hand is Paraguard and Cupramine and after reading reviews decided to try first with Paraguard. Guess i'm a little paranoid after losing all my fish earlier but is there something else I should do ? I do have live rock in the tank to reduce ammonia since it is only a 13 g QT tank. Was thinking of removing and replacing with PVC? Please Help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you QT biofilter relies on the live rock, then removing it may cause you ammonia issues. Paraguard can be used with live rock, but it really isn't very effective against marine ich. Copper (with a good test kit) is the preferred treatment, but can't really be dosed with live rock in the tank.

Jay

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In all my QT tanks I use a 4”x4” foam block (seeded with TurboStart) with a powerhead stuck in it. That’s in addition to any power filter.

Anyways, those are small fish. I’d remove the rock now, manage any ammonia with water changes and Seachem Prime until the tank can keep up. Order some Copper Power now so you can keep using the Prime as needed.

Once it’s all stable, treat for ich:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also:

-Take some filter floss from another tank (hopefully ich-free) (if you use it) and put it in your HOB filter;

-put in some macro (I put some GHA attached to some gravel substrate in mine);

-put a small tupperware dish full of live sand (preferably from an ich-free tank); this will absorb some copper, so you do have to be careful.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back