Ick!

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 salt tank had widespread ick. Wiped out the fish. I've gotten lots of suggestions to rid the ick and here's what I'm doing.
Brought salinity down to 1.019 and have temp up to 84. No fish in the tank.
Will this eventually rid the ick? If so, how long should I let this process play out to be safe before raising salinity and adding fish?
Any suggestions on adding copper or anything else or just leave the process the way I have it?
Any other suggestions. I'm new to this R2R...thank you so much!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to lower the salinity - running 60 days without fish is enough to rid the tank of ich.
It is important to confirm ich though - do you have any pictures of the affected fish?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have went hyposalinity while the fish were still alive too as a cure for ich. Just saying in case you ever have it again.

OP
OP
Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to lower the salinity - running 60 days without fish is enough to rid the tank of ich.
It is important to confirm ich though - do you have any pictures of the affected fish?

Attachments

• ick.jpg
    ick.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have went hyposalinity while the fish were still alive too as a cure for ich. Just saying in case you ever have it again.
Thank you, Lavey. It was sooo fast. How low do i bring down salinity? At 1.019 now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My 125 salt tank had widespread ick. Wiped out the fish. I've gotten lots of suggestions to rid the ick and here's what I'm doing.
Brought salinity down to 1.019 and have temp up to 84. No fish in the tank.
Will this eventually rid the ick? If so, how long should I let this process play out to be safe before raising salinity and adding fish?
Any suggestions on adding copper or anything else or just leave the process the way I have it?
Any other suggestions. I'm new to this R2R...thank you so much!
Would like to verify ich but assuming so, at 81 deg for 60 days should erradicate it. I would recommend a siphoning at day 30 to remove any dead tromonts. If no inverts or coral in tank, you can even take salinity down to 1.012 to assure issue is taken care of. This step is in lieu of copper

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is marine ich and shown by mucus cones on fish and method you described will take care of it. Coppersafe not Cupramine will also address it

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Lavey. It was sooo fast. How low do i bring down salinity? At 1.019 now
Are you sure it wasn't brook which kills fast? Ich kills slow starting with few white dots and progressing.

Either way tank still needs to fallow. If you have temp raised you don't need hyposalinity too. Just keep it fallow for 60 days at higher temp. If you elect to do hyposalinity too then 1.009 is your target number.

OP
OP
Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to verify ich but assuming so, at 81 deg for 60 days should erradicate it. I would recommend a siphoning at day 30 to remove any dead tromonts. If no inverts or coral in tank, you can even take salinity down to 1.012 to assure issue is taken care of. This step is in lieu of copper
Are you sure it wasn't brook which kills fast? Ich kills slow starting with few white dots and progressing.

Either way tank still needs to fallow. If you have temp raised you don't need hyposalinity too. Just keep it fallow for 60 days at higher temp. If you elect to do hyposalinity too then 1.009 is your target number.
Excellent info..thanks again

OP
OP
Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Florida (Boynton Beach). Where are you based? The "siphoning at daY 30"....What do you exctly mean? No coral/ inverts. Thanks so much.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm in Florida (Boynton Beach). Where are you based? The "siphoning at daY 30"....What do you exctly mean? No coral/ inverts. Thanks so much.
During 60 day fallow period at day 30 which is halfway through the fallow period- do a surface siphoning of sand bed

OP
OP
Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetteguy,,,i am in Florida (Boynton Beach) I see where you are with Fla marine. Great info and I thank you, however, what do you mean by "siphoning on day 30?"

OP
OP
Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During 60 day fallow period at day 30 which is halfway through the fallow period- do a surface siphoning of sand bed
I thought thats what you meant. Will do. Thank you so much. I take it you're in Fla as well?
And I was trying to avoid copper..so thank you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Google sand siphoning a reef tank. Videos will show you, it's easy and you do it to make sure no remnants of ick are left over in your sand.

OP
OP
Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Google sand siphoning a reef tank. Videos will show you, it's easy and you do it to make sure no remnants of ick are left over in your sand.
Lavey,,thanks for taking the time to reply,,between you and vetteguy, i think i hvae all the right answers

OP
OP
Robert Thomas

Robert Thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was- back in Wi
You know what they say,,"Once you get the beach sand, you can never shake it loose." By the way, Milwaukee is one of my favorite and fun cities in USA. Between summerfest, the safe house, great people, great beer, and not much traffic congestion,,ive had many a good times....thanks again for your help

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You know what they say,,"Once you get the beach sand, you can never shake it loose." By the way, Milwaukee is one of my favorite and fun cities in USA. Between summerfest, the safe house, great people, great beer, and not much traffic congestion,,ive had many a good times....thanks again for your help
Milwaukee is suicide. If car does not get stolen, and you make it home alive- you had a great day. It is the land now of teen deaths, car chases and unlimited guns. I avoid it at all costs unless I must go there and now sales tax will be 2.4% higher now at 7.9%

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back