ICP-Analysis - Need Suggestions

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first ICP test done by ICP-analysis. I've heard some negative reviews but the simple fact I get my result in 3 days is worth a shot. The main thing I wanted to know was my Iodine since I dose 3 drops of lugols per day. Based on the results I got its clear that I am dosing too much. Since I use marinepure block I was also concerned about Aluminum. Seems kind of high.

What do you all thing I should do about the Iodine? I've been dosing 3 drops of lugol per day for 3 months and took this ICP test the day after doing a 25% waterchange.

Screenshot_2018-02-09-14-18-59.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have substantial noise in their aluminum testing of NSW (it should be lower than any of those values), but if it is accurate at 110 ppb in your tank, I'd probably look to lower it.

Your iodine value is fine, but I think it could be an interesting experiment to stop dosing it and see if anything changes. I never noticed any change, and stopped dosing it entirely.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If correct is it safe to say AL is coming from the marinepure block or is it possible to come in from instant ocean or fritz salt? Phosphates I am also kind of iffy with since my tank values tend to run below 0.04 and their ocean analysis is clearly not close to undetectable. I have had my phosphates go from 0.01-0.10 so not impossible to believe. Strontinum is lower then I hoped but glad I waited to dose Brightwell SR; which based on my calculations (15ML will bring up my SR by 1PPM -Water volume is 130gallon). Based on this alone I am hoping I can just dose as needed to maintain 8-9. My MG is also alot lower then I when I tested before sending out sample. I tested 1520 and they got alot lower. Overall, I am happy with the test it was $30 well spend.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If correct is it safe to say AL is coming from the marinepure block or is it possible to come in from instant ocean or fritz salt? Phosphates I am also kind of iffy with since my tank values tend to run below 0.04 and their ocean analysis is clearly not close to undetectable. I have had my phosphates go from 0.01-0.10 so not impossible to believe. Strontinum is lower then I hoped but glad I waited to dose Brightwell SR; which based on my calculations (15ML will bring up my SR by 1PPM -Water volume is 130gallon). Based on this alone I am hoping I can just dose as needed to maintain 8-9. My MG is also alot lower then I when I tested before sending out sample. I tested 1520 and they got alot lower. Overall, I am happy with the test it was $30 well spend.

The aluminum may or may not be the blocks, but I don't think there's evidence that 110 ppb comes from typical salt mixes. I used IO for ~1% daily changes and had 1.6 ppb.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back