ICP Results - High Fe & Ba Group

SirShmyra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just received my first ICP test results. Results shoe elevated Fe and Ba groupings.

I am wondering how concerned I need to be about these reqdings and what the possible source of these elevated elements may be.

Attached are my results. Generally the tank is ok. I am having trouble with some euphyllia but other euphellia are unbothered. Thought it may have been a bacterial infection but possibly its a result of elevated metal elements? SPS and softies in the tank are good and growing.

However, need to know how concerned i need to be and what i need to change/where i need to look for the source of these metal elements.

Screenshot_20210703-124547_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20210703-124537_Drive.jpg

OP
OP
SirShmyra

SirShmyra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha...i can check pumps, magnets, etc.should i be in panic mode over the 32 Fe?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no panic or correction needed, but It is fairly unusual to see iron, IMO. Even with iron dosing and using GFO, I saw none detectable.

The barium is no concern, IMO.

OP
OP
SirShmyra

SirShmyra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no panic or correction needed, but It is fairly unusual to see iron, IMO. Even with iron dosing and using GFO, I saw none detectable.

The barium is no concern, IMO.
Interesting. Is it accurate that said elevated Fe and Ba woupd be consistent with a leeching pump? I actually checked all pumps yesterday and did not find any corrosion/leaching pumps. I do use GFO pretty heavily and have in 1 or 2 instances maybe had some escape the reactor into the tank. I also have the red sea DIY aquarium cover which has on occasion fallen in the tank, however Red Sea's website states the cover is Aluminum, so it seems that would unlikely be the case? Just thinking through any possible sources. Maybe just a false negative test?

Would you recommend to Poly Filter or Cupisorb? Or just not even bother and let be?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Is it accurate that said elevated Fe and Ba woupd be consistent with a leeching pump? I actually checked all pumps yesterday and did not find any corrosion/leaching pumps. I do use GFO pretty heavily and have in 1 or 2 instances maybe had some escape the reactor into the tank. I also have the red sea DIY aquarium cover which has on occasion fallen in the tank, however Red Sea's website states the cover is Aluminum, so it seems that would unlikely be the case? Just thinking through any possible sources. Maybe just a false negative test?

Would you recommend to Poly Filter or Cupisorb? Or just not even bother and let be?

I would not assume so, and I would not take any corrective action except to be sure you don't have metal in the tank.

Barium is often elevated just from salt, and iron is not usually elevated with lots of exposed iron (like GFO), although the GFO may be the source.

GFO escaping a rector isn't any more likely to dissolve than GFO in the reactor.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back