ICP Test and some concerns

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did an ICP test comparison between Fauna Marin and Triton for a couple of reasons. Most of all because while my SPS are doing well (growth/color), my polyp extension isn't good and the tenuis/millies have retracted their polyps from when I first put them in the tank. Here are the results.

The purpose of this post is that I have some concerns over the readings and trying to understand what may possibly be causing the PE retraction. My questions:

Concern #1) Should I be concerned about the copper reading on the FM test? It was not detectable on the Triton test. I have never specifically dosed copper to the tank nor have I used any of my QT equipment anywhere near this tank or my mixing station so I don't think it would be from cross contamination. I am currently dosing HW Tracetip-1 and Tracetip-2. Is it possibly from that? If so, should I reduce my daily dosing?

Concern #2) Iron (Fe) measuring ~ 2.4ug/L. Per the Triton test it is high and needs to be reduced, but the FM test shows this in acceptable range (they have 0.05 - 2.5). I have combed through every pump/equipment and the sump to look for any dropped screw or source of rust and haven't found any.

Ultimately, I'm looking for thoughts on my 2 concerns noted above and additionally do YOU see any concerns with the results below?

1588165622195.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think either the copper (2 ug/L) or iron readings are a concern at those levels. The Triton test can only detect down to 1 ug/l copper, last I checked.

I wouldn't want to see copper a lot higher, but my tank was at 11 ug/mL copper when I tested it many years ago, and everything seemed fine in it (can't be sure, of course, that some organisms may have been stressed or even died from it).

For some reason, Fauna seems to report strangely high sulfur (sulfate) readings. I'd be wary of believing it.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think either the copper (2 ug/L) or iron readings are a concern at those levels. The Triton test can only detect down to 1 ug/l copper, last I checked.

I wouldn't want to see copper a lot higher, but my tank was at 11 ug/mL copper when I tested it many years ago, and everything seemed fine in it (can't be sure, of course, that some organisms may have been stressed or even died from it).

For some reason, Fauna seems to report strangely high sulfur (sulfate) readings. I'd be wary of believing it.

Thanks for the reply.

As for the FM Sulphur reading, I went and looked back and the actual value is >1241 so I guess it actually measured even higher value.

Do you see anything to be concerned with or anything specifically that could be making the corals just unhappy enough to not fully extend polyps?

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be unrelated to chemistry.

Could be lack of a trace element such as manganese.

Nothing else that I notice.
Do you have a better recommendation for dosing trace elements?

I do weekly 15% water changes using TM Pro Reef and then dose HW Tracetip 1 and 2 every day.

Is there a better all in one trace element additive?

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your system? WC should usually replenish most of your elements. and doing weekly should be enough. I would stop dosing what you are dosing.

also keep in mind all ICP test are different. I would stick with one and use your first test as a base line and work from there

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your system? WC should usually replenish most of your elements. and doing weekly should be enough. I would stop dosing what you are dosing.

also keep in mind all ICP test are different. I would stick with one and use your first test as a base line and work from there
It's a 50g cube. I have 19 SPS frags and some LPS as well.

I wouldn't disagree with you on WCs being enough, however I have been dosing trace elements for 3+ months and my levels aren't elevated and in some cases still low. To me that would seem to say that if I stopped all together that the system would be trace element deficient, no?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a better recommendation for dosing trace elements?

I do weekly 15% water changes using TM Pro Reef and then dose HW Tracetip 1 and 2 every day.

Is there a better all in one trace element additive?

All in one trace elements is tricky, and no one tells you how much of what is in them, but since you are not excessive in most trace elements, I'd just suggest trying one from a reliable brand you like.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most people are low in manganese and probably in iron, despite water changes.

bikedoctoRR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken a coral out and used a 60x or 100x lens on them to inspect for pests ???

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people are low in manganese and probably in iron, despite water changes.
I did read several of your articles and have made my solution with your DIY products, I haven’t gotten around to start dosing them! I just want to say, my wife thinks your my best friend because I bring your name up so very often!!

purp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you make actionable decisions based on this dataset? While there is agreement among most of the major ions, which can generally be measured well from home, the trace element data has huge variation from lab to lab! And does triton actually report 0's or do they report a non-detect?

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you make actionable decisions based on this dataset? While there is agreement among most of the major ions, which can generally be measured well from home, the trace element data has huge variation from lab to lab! And does triton actually report 0's or do they report a non-detect?
This is just my opinion as I am certainly no expert! I would say first and foremost you look at the health of your tank and its inhabitants. If everything is healthy, happy, and you don't see any major red flags on the ICP report, then don't do anything drastic.

There definitely seems to be some agreed upon trace elements that matter more than others so if you are undetectable in those maybe you start with low dose trace elements or increase water change frequency to replace those depleted elements.

For me, the biggest value in the ICP test, regardless of lab, is to figure out if something is contributing to a problem beyond what I can test for at home or even to validate my major tests at home.

For instance, I had STN going on with my acros and I couldn't see what was going on from what I was measuring and looking at from home. My ICP test came back with VERY high levels of Fe (iron). I found that the impeller shaft on the pump I was using to mix new salt water was rusting. I changed the pump, performed many large water changes to get my Fe levels down, and now most everything has recovered or is recovering.

Just my 2 cents.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back