ICP Test results, help??

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my latest ICP results. Shows iodine as being quite low, 15.54 ug/l and should be 63.43. Searching on here I see this is a common thing to find low on an icp. It’s not something I have tested for in the past with a home kit. My last icp showed it at .01 ppm. The rest of the results are attached as pics. Thoughts? Only other thing is my salifert kit read 360 ppm potassium at The same time I pulled water for the icp. And icp says it’s fine. I’m not a number chaser, but feeling like I need to test for a potentially dose iodine?

0BFF2757-7BB0-4B35-BABC-65F1A1CA68D5.png 79A8FA37-23CD-4EB3-860D-FCF8D55B150E.png B78CFB9F-658D-45D5-A046-DA6712B48F11.png

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my latest ICP results. Shows iodine as being quite low, 15.54 ug/l and should be 63.43. Searching on here I see this is a common thing to find low on an icp. It’s not something I have tested for in the past with a home kit. My last icp showed it at .01 ppm. The rest of the results are attached as pics. Thoughts? Only other thing is my salifert kit read 360 ppm potassium at The same time I pulled water for the icp. And icp says it’s fine. I’m not a number chaser, but feeling like I need to test for a potentially dose iodine?

0BFF2757-7BB0-4B35-BABC-65F1A1CA68D5.png 79A8FA37-23CD-4EB3-860D-FCF8D55B150E.png B78CFB9F-658D-45D5-A046-DA6712B48F11.png
I too am looking at dosing iodine and from what I have read some people do and some people don’t and I also read on here that iodine doesn’t do anything for corals and it’s more of an algae food... but at the same time it’s recommended so I’m not sure if I want to dose or not. For my refugium sake I might but honestly BUMP for some more helpful input

Upvote 0

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I am not an expert by any means on iodine I will say unless you are very comfortable dosing it, I would rather attack it thru water changes.

As Pb mentioned iodine is used by algae, but so much more. It is used by other things too Too much can become toxic to certain things at varying levels.

Here is an article from an expert that does know about it that may help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kris 2020

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I am not an expert by any means on iodine I will say unless you are very comfortable dosing it, I would rather attack it thru water changes.

As Pb mentioned iodine is used by algae, but so much more. It is used by other things too Too much can become toxic to certain things at varying levels.

Here is an article from an expert that does know about it that may help

I auto water change, 15ish% per week may be a little more.
I too am looking at dosing iodine and from what I have read some people do and some people don’t and I also read on here that iodine doesn’t do anything for corals and it’s more of an algae food... but at the same time it’s recommended so I’m not sure if I want to dose or not. For my refugium sake I might but honestly BUMP for some more helpful input
This is the same confusion I'm having.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Iodine does deplete rapidly, and if you want to maintain it you will need to dose frequently. Algae (micro and macro) is a big consumer of iodine. Water changes typically cannot maintain natural levels.

That said, just because it is low does not mean dosing it is useful. It wasn't for me.

If you do begin dosing, do it as an experiment and look for a benefit. If you see something, great. if you see nothing after a while, maybe it is a wasted effort.

These have more:

Upvote 0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My iodine is zero according to ICP-Analysis.com and my corals are all fine except for my Duncan. He is closed up again for several weeks now again. Last year he was closed for several months. The only thing that helped him was changing salt and he was happy for several months until I went back to the original salt and he is unhappy again. I also have been dosing iodide 8 drops a day in a 75 and still get zero on the ICP so I don't know but maybe up my dose and hope for the best.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kris 2020

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is low and that risks dinos and possibly starving corals. I'd feed more or dose phosphate.
That one surprised me too, hanna gave .08 on the same day, and I'm usually anywhere from .04-1.1 on my weekly tests. Of course ICP is more exact than a home kit, but do any of these elements degrade over the week or so it takes for a sample to get shipped to and tested for at a lab?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kris 2020

Kris 2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine does deplete rapidly, and if you want to maintain it you will need to dose frequently. Algae (micro and macro) is a big consumer of iodine. Water changes typically cannot maintain natural levels.

That said, just because it is low does not mean dosing it is useful. It wasn't for me.

If you do begin dosing, do it as an experiment and look for a benefit. If you see something, great. if you see nothing after a while, maybe it is a wasted effort.

These have more:

Thank you, this is very helpful!

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one surprised me too, hanna gave .08 on the same day, and I'm usually anywhere from .04-1.1 on my weekly tests. Of course ICP is more exact than a home kit, but do any of these elements degrade over the week or so it takes for a sample to get shipped to and tested for at a lab?

That may be OK then. Some folks do find ICP phosphate is lower, perhaps due to loses of phosphate during transit perhaps by organism (e.g., algae or bacteria) uptake.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back