ICP test results

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my test results back today, all looked good apart from some trace elements being low.
But then I scroll down to phosphate and Triton reckons I got a phosphate level of 1.132 mg/l! Whaaaaat?
Each week I read 0.12 ppm with my red sea phosphate kit and Triton comes back with 1.132?
Haven't tested yet since I got results this morning but how would everything go well in my tank with phosphates that high?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my test results back today, all looked good apart from some trace elements being low.
But then I scroll down to phosphate and Triton reckons I got a phosphate level of 1.132 mg/l! Whaaaaat?
Each week I read 0.12 ppm with my red sea phosphate kit and Triton comes back with 1.132?
Haven't tested yet since I got results this morning but how would everything go well in my tank with phosphates that high?
Is triton what you used for ICP test? Maybe take your water to lfs for second opinion?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some tanks are great with 1 ppm phosphate:

1656032878170.png

Rich’s 150 gallon display, on a 300 gallon system, is running a phosphate level of 1.24 ppm, a level at 24.8 times higher than the often recommended .05 ppm. Photo by Richard Ross.

OP
OP
Kmst80

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is triton what you used for ICP test? Maybe take your water to lfs for second opinion?
Yeah it was Triton Lab doing the tests.
Gonna get another brand test kit to double check but
Some tanks are great with 1 ppm phosphate:

1656032878170.png

Rich’s 150 gallon display, on a 300 gallon system, is running a phosphate level of 1.24 ppm, a level at 24.8 times higher than the often recommended .05 ppm. Photo by Richard Ross.
Thanks for the replies, i did calm down after the initial shock and started using the brain. I just freaked out coz most people will say phosphates need to be under 0.08 ppm.
I watched the speech Rich gave about phosphate and it makes sense. My nitrates are a bit elevated too(25ppm) but the corals looking awesome and showing growth.
Why spend all that money to chase some numbers if the fish and corals look happy.
I wonder if dosing phyto daily has to do with the elevated phosphate because i am certainly not overfeeding(quarter cube a day),or equivalent dose of live food(brine shrimp or white worms).
The red sea test must just not read properly due to the high phosphate, wonder if the hanna would pick it up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back