Icp Test Tin/Aluminum does this matter? Also Trace Elements.

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did a icp test, and it came back with detectable levels of aluminum/tin. There are various minor trace elements that are low. However I would assume this can be fixed with 1-2 20% water changes. I have been doing a lot of reading, and it seems there's a range of opinions on whether this level of aluminum/tin would do anything at all.

As to were it comes from or came from. I have no real idea. I have a used mp10 i put in recently. I may have to replace the wetside. Also 1 small magnetic frag rack, and 1 small magnetic glass cleaner. Aside from that there is nothing else in the tank that could be doing it. Also i use a cheap amazon powerhead to mix my saltwater. Other then that no idea.

I have had no coral death or anything, but a few zoas have been acting odd. Just wondering what you guys would do.

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Attachments

• Shen Sobonya 0386.pdf
    150 KB · Views: 56

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aluminum is not high enough to be a concern. Aluminum usually comes from white media of various sorts.

I also think the tin is not likely an issue at that level. Tin seems to often come from plastics where it is used as a stabilizer.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aluminum is not high enough to be a concern. Aluminum usually comes from white media of various sorts.

I also think the tin is not likely an issue at that level. Tin seems to often come from plastics where it is used as a stabilizer.
Ahh it is a 6 month old tank. Do you think as time goes on itll just fade with water changes?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh it is a 6 month old tank. Do you think as time goes on itll just fade with water changes?

Well, eventually, yes. How long that takes is not clear.

But I wouldn't do anything extraordinary to lower it fast.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, eventually, yes. How long that takes is not clear.

But I wouldn't do anything extraordinary to lower it fast.
Yea i hadnt planned on it. Most of my opinion on this issue is from what ive seen you say about it on various posts.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think adding something like brightwell's purit might be a good idea? i havent used it yet since i have so much other media but its on my bucket list.

purit_name.gif

Next-Generation Chemical Filtration Media for use in all Marine and Freshwater Aquaria​

Overview​

• Next-generation combination of enhanced activated carbon (offering superior chemical filtration
    characteristics to traditional activated carbon) and NSF-grade ion-exchange and adsorptive resins
    to enhance removal of impurities such as chloramines, ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, silicate,
    heavy metals, and dissolved organic material from water.
  • Facilitates decomposition and oxidation/reduction reactions, enhancing oxidation-reduction
    potential (ORP), and improving water quality.
  • Improves water clarity by removing dyes and discoloration from water.
  • Eliminates odors caused by decaying organic material.
  • Removes copper from medicated systems. Removes lead and other heavy metals.
  • Completely safe for use in all reef, mixed-reef, fish-only, community, and planted aquaria.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think adding something like brightwell's purit might be a good idea? i havent used it yet since i have so much other media but its on my bucket list.

purit_name.gif

Next-Generation Chemical Filtration Media for use in all Marine and Freshwater Aquaria​

Overview​

• Next-generation combination of enhanced activated carbon (offering superior chemical filtration
    characteristics to traditional activated carbon) and NSF-grade ion-exchange and adsorptive resins
    to enhance removal of impurities such as chloramines, ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, silicate,
    heavy metals, and dissolved organic material from water.
  • Facilitates decomposition and oxidation/reduction reactions, enhancing oxidation-reduction
    potential (ORP), and improving water quality.
  • Improves water clarity by removing dyes and discoloration from water.
  • Eliminates odors caused by decaying organic material.
  • Removes copper from medicated systems. Removes lead and other heavy metals.
  • Completely safe for use in all reef, mixed-reef, fish-only, community, and planted aquaria.

No i wouldnt do that. The tank only houses zoas. So the only filtration is seachem matrix, and a filter floss pad changed once per week. Even with such minimal filtration. Also only 1 20% water change per month. The tank tends to sit at 3-4 nitrate and .02 to .04 phos. Any other media would just be to much. I also tend to think these various filter medias are sort of overkill in the first place. A well balanced tank should not need them.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you do that? remove every pump, heater etc one at a time, do massive water changes and pay for icp tests? cuprisorb isnt that expensive pulls just copper and heavy metals

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum is not a heavy metal and I don't think folks have shown it to be removed this way.

I'm also not sure that tin is present in a form that will bind to these binders, but it may.

FWIW, you will reduce desirable metals too, not just undesirable ones, using a metal binder.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum is not a heavy metal and I don't think folks have shown it to be removed this way.

I'm also not sure that tin is present in a form that will bind to these binders, but it may.

FWIW, you will reduce desirable metals too, not just undesirable ones, using a metal binder.
Right my main reason as to why I would not use said polymers etc.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In terms of the minor elements that are low/non existent such as manganese. Are a few 20% water changes enough to replenish that?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of the minor elements that are low/non existent such as manganese. Are a few 20% water changes enough to replenish that?

Enough to help organisms? Maybe.

Enough to maintain NSW levels? No.

Some of the trace elements are depleted very fast, and the only way to maintain natural levels (if that is a goal) is by dosing or possibly by foods.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough to help organisms? Maybe.

Enough to maintain NSW levels? No.

Some of the trace elements are depleted very fast, and the only way to maintain natural levels (if that is a goal) is by dosing or possibly by foods.
Alrighty. Well what would you do in this situation?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. Well what would you do in this situation?

Experiment with dosing.

Here's what I said a while back after getting an ICP test. I changed 1% daily:

Manganese (Mn). Triton can just barely detect the natural level of manganese (0.17 µg/L) since their LOD is 0.12 µg/L. Detecting none suggests it may be depleted, and is another possibility for dosing, but I have less confidence that this one is really seriously depleted since it is so close to the LOD. But Mn is biologically important and I will consider it.

Iron (Fe). The natural iron level varies a lot with depth, but surface seawater may have only 0.006 µg/L. The Triton LOD = 0.3 µg/L. I dose iron, and when I dose it I boost iron to roughly 1-2 µg/L, which would be detectable. This sample was taken more than a week after the last iron dosing, and none was detected as it gets depleted in the meanwhile. I’ve not yet seen a Triton test result for a real aquarium sample that had detectable iron, but that doesn’t mean these tanks are necessarily deficient. Iron is also a case where the form is critical, and ICP cannot distinguish form. Binding to organic matter, for example, can alter the bioavailability of iron.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back