ICP Trace elements

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just got an ICP test back and all the following trace elements are showing as low

ElementAnalysis ValueDesired Level
Barium3.11 µg/l15 - 100 µg/l
ChromiumUndetectable0.1 - 1 µg/l
CobaltUndetectable0.1 - 1 µg/l
CopperUndetectable0.2 - 5 µg/l
Iodine23.15 µg/l60 - 95 µg/l
ManganeseUndetectable0.4 - 5 µg/l
Molybdenum10.42 µg/l12 - 20 µg/l
Nickel1.08 µg/l2 - 5 µg/l
SeleniumUndetectable0.1 - 5 µg/l
VanadiumUndetectable0.5 - 5 µg/l
Zinc1.22 µg/l3 - 12 µg/l

Should I be worried about any of these or am i safe to continue with water changes to replenish them

OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about 9 months old, only have a few corals, a hammer, a torch, a couple of zoas and a duncan. Everything is looking ok except the torch is sulking a bit

Edit: its a Red Sea Reefer 425XL

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just got an ICP test back and all the following trace elements are showing as low

Zinc1.22 µg/l3 - 12 µg/l

Should I be worried about any of these or am i safe to continue with water changes to replenish them
Which ICP did you use? Trace elements are naturally present in super small quantities. Very close to zero. Also I am not sure I WANT several of those trace elements. Copper? No thanks.

To get back to your question, don't dose what you don't test for. Having too much of a given trace may prove worse than having undetectable levels. So if you are going to dose traces, you'll want to keep running ICPtests for a while at least to learn consumption patterns.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would continue routine water changes and monitor your main parameters: alk, ph, ca, mg. Try to keep things stable. Do another ICP in 6-9 months and see where your are.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which ICP did you use? Trace elements are naturally present in super small quantities. Very close to zero. Also I am not sure I WANT several of those trace elements. Copper? No thanks.

To get back to your question, don't dose what you don't test for. Having too much of a given trace may prove worse than having undetectable levels. So if you are going to dose traces, you'll want to keep running ICPtests for a while at least to learn consumption patterns.

In sea water, I believe copper is essential, but in very low concentrations. The ICP test could be +\- a bit, so it would not be a concern (to me). There's probably a thread about it on here somewhere.

OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In sea water, I believe copper is essential, but in very low concentrations. The ICP test could be +\- a bit, so it would not be a concern (to me). There's probably a thread about it on here somewhere.

I think their "Desired Level" is based on natural sea water and they do warn you about some of the elements to only dose if your experienced, copper been one of them

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zinc1.22 µg/l3 - 12 µg/l

IMO, there's no good understanding of what levels of some of these are actually needed, and some of them are not needed at all (such as barium, which has no known biological need in any organism).

I think a reasonable experiment is to test out dosing a good quality trace element mix, such as Tropic Marin A and K, and see if the tank apparently benefits or not after a few weeks.

Some, such as iron and manganese, are fairly likely to be useful in many aquaria.

OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, there's no good understanding of what levels of some of these are actually needed, and some of them are not needed at all (such as barium, which has no known biological need in any organism).

I think a reasonable experiment is to test out dosing a good quality trace element mix, such as Tropic Marin A and K, and see if the tank apparently benefits or not after a few weeks.

Some, such as iron and manganese, are fairly likely to be useful in many aquaria.
Thanks Randy, I have some manganese and are following their dosing recommendations. I will also grab some A&K and give it a go

fishRus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of the trace elements in “all for reef“ is copper.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the trace elements in “all for reef“ is copper.

Yes, and organisms need copper. It is not enough to cause elevated copper unless it was a bad batch.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back