salinity: 1.025
dKH: 9
Ca: 400
Mg: 1280 (I'm working on it)
Nitrate: 0
Phos: 0 (as far as I can tell).

Here's a photo:

IMG_2190.JPG

My zoas are doing awful due to the growth on the mat, but my LPS are doing just fine.

I can upload more pictures if necessary. Thanks!

chayes991

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank, has been up 3 months:

salinity: 1.025
dKH: 9
Ca: 400
Mg: 1280 (I'm working on it)
Nitrate: 0
Phos: 0 (as far as I can tell).

Here's a photo:

IMG_2190.JPG

My zoas are doing awful due to the growth on the mat, but my LPS are doing just fine.

I can upload more pictures if necessary. Thanks!

I’d say from the pic that it’s hair algae, doesn’t look like Dino to me.

OP
OP
Adam_M

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say from the pic that it’s hair algae, doesn’t look like Dino to me.

Ok good. I assume that the algae has reached a high enough level to irritate the Zoas into staying closed? Trying to figure out the best way to help them out. I have a functioning fuge with chaeto, but the tank algae keeps on growing.

chayes991

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good. I assume that the algae has reached a high enough level to irritate the Zoas into staying closed? Trying to figure out the best way to help them out. I have a functioning fuge with chaeto, but the tank algae keeps on growing.
I’ve had Dino before and it took a long time to get rid of it. Ones of the things I learned was nuisance algae is way better than Dino!
best advice I can give is see how much and what your feeding? Little things like that really. If you keep on top of those things along with the fuge then you should eventually see the algae start to disappear but it’s one of those things that you always have to manage.
attack it on many fronts.
Fuge
Gfo (careful not to use too much
Clean up
Small feeds.

honestly in my experience it’s better to have nutrients thank none.
As for the algae on the zoas I would just try to pick some off with tweezers. Funny how it can grow like that on zoas

OP
OP
Adam_M

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had Dino before and it took a long time to get rid of it. Ones of the things I learned was nuisance algae is way better than Dino!
best advice I can give is see how much and what your feeding? Little things like that really. If you keep on top of those things along with the fuge then you should eventually see the algae start to disappear but it’s one of those things that you always have to manage.
attack it on many fronts.
Fuge
Gfo (careful not to use too much
Clean up
Small feeds.

honestly in my experience it’s better to have nutrients thank none.
As for the algae on the zoas I would just try to pick some off with tweezers. Funny how it can grow like that on zoas

Yeah it's more on the zoas mats than it is on the rocks, which is just crazy to me. Thanks for the help!

chayes991

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's more on the zoas mats than it is on the rocks, which is just crazy to me. Thanks for the help!
No worries, and the fact it’s in one place points to hair algae too. You’ll get rid of it eventually!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back