Is this bubble algae?

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this in my tank. It’s a small patch, but once I noticed it, I realized there are small patches in other places in the tank.

Can anyone ID, and possibly provide a fix?

IMG_2647.jpeg

IMG_2646.jpeg

125 gallon tank (115 gallons total water volume). Tank has been up and running since August 2021.

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 2.2
Phosphate 0.03
Mg 1280
Calcium 490
Alk 9.4

Lights:
Current USA Marine Orbit LED strips
4 T5HO bulbs.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Emerald Crabs. I've heard that they can go after corals too.

Foxface, I've heard that they will nip at corals.
Foxface and emerald crabs both occasionally nip corals. Foxface that are well-fed rarely nip coral, but it can happen. Emerald crabs are usually more commonly a problem ime.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some googling, removal seems to be the first line of defense. I'm going to try to remove the algae during the next water change on Monday. I'll brush it off the rocks and syphon it out. Right now I'm seeing 5 spots with bubble algae (and I'm aware there are probably more I can't see). I'll try this before introducing anything into the tank.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can remove the afflicted rocks? That way you can prevent spreading it further. Manual removal coupled with a spot peroxide treatment outside the tank would probably work great.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can remove the afflicted rocks? That way you can prevent spreading it further. Manual removal coupled with a spot peroxide treatment outside the tank would probably work great.
I could probably remove one of the rocks. The rest were placed in the tank before the sand was put it, and some are glue to other rocks.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some googling, removal seems to be the first line of defense. I'm going to try to remove the algae during the next water change on Monday. I'll brush it off the rocks and syphon it out. Right now I'm seeing 5 spots with bubble algae (and I'm aware there are probably more I can't see). I'll try this before introducing anything into the tank.
This is a fair strategy, but just be prepared that it WILL be back. There's no real question of that. If you're willing to periodically do the cleaning though it's controllable. Idk of a single person who attempted manual removal of bubble algae after seeing several patches on their main rockwork and successfully fully eliminated from their system.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with bubble algae is it doesn't need light. So inside all your rock caves out of sight it can be spreading without you knowing then it pops up all over the tank where you can see it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just noticed this in my tank. It’s a small patch, but once I noticed it, I realized there are small patches in other places in the tank.

Can anyone ID, and possibly provide a fix?

IMG_2647.jpeg

IMG_2646.jpeg

125 gallon tank (115 gallons total water volume). Tank has been up and running since August 2021.

Parameters:
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 2.2
Phosphate 0.03
Mg 1280
Calcium 490
Alk 9.4

Lights:
Current USA Marine Orbit LED strips
4 T5HO bulbs.
I take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100% as they were in between the branches.
Other option is to add pitho crabs or emerald crabs (which I do not trust) which will eat them

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100% as they were in between the branches.
Other option is to add pitho crabs or emerald crabs (which I do not trust) which will eat them
Do you not trust both pitho crabs and emerald crabs, or just emerald crabs?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you not trust both pitho crabs and emerald crabs, or just emerald crabs?
Just Pitho over Emeralds. Emerals are good workers when you get one that works and not turn on coral

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back