[ID] button polyp? How to frag?

k_dog345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I have this soft coral that I need an ID for. I think it's a button polyp but not sure. This particular group is over taking my blue zoa colony, so pointers on how to safely frag these would be helpful as well. Here is a pic

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1476130345.858023.jpg

Thanks

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety: gloves (latex or non latex kind) and glasses to prevent stuff from getting in your eyes. Make sure to wipe down your work area after too (I know my cats are always interested in what Im doing)
As far as what they are...probably just button polyps.

1-if you can remove the rock, take it out. If you cant remove it...Im not sure how youre going to do it.
2-take a metal spatula or the like
upload_2016-10-10_16-17-37.png
and dig under the foot of the polyp. It will be a mat-like surface. You can also use a scalpel to cut the mat between the polyp heads if you want a smaller frag.
3-put some cyanoacrylate glue on a frag plug and glue and foot of the polyps down to the plug.

How I learned:
My fragging kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012BNXIH0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
k_dog345

k_dog345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety: gloves (latex or non latex kind) and glasses to prevent stuff from getting in your eyes. Make sure to wipe down your work area after too (I know my cats are always interested in what Im doing)
As far as what they are...probably just button polyps.

1-if you can remove the rock, take it out. If you cant remove it...Im not sure how youre going to do it.
2-take a metal spatula or the like
upload_2016-10-10_16-17-37.png
and dig under the foot of the polyp. It will be a mat-like surface. You can also use a scalpel to cut the mat between the polyp heads if you want a smaller frag.
3-put some cyanoacrylate glue on a frag plug and glue and foot of the polyps down to the plug.

How I learned:
My fragging kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012BNXIH0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the pointers!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those will spread pretty quick. I dont frag them I use aptasiax. yes, to kill them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha thats one way to get them out of the system. But wont they rot?
Thankfully I havent had an issue with them.

Yes. Yes they do. But hey. I have hungry bacteria to to feed.
I don't kill them all at once. More from palytoxin concerns than rot. I'm guessing LRS has more to rot by wight than six or eight of these.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back