ID Coral Eating Pest?

  • Thread starter Thread starter csamsock
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

csamsock

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2020
Messages
19
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the below pest consuming Soft and LPS in my reef tank. They appear to be some type of Copepod? They originated in the sad bed and had been picking at the goni and elegance that was in the sand, now they have expanded into the rock structure and have attacked my Euphyllia, torch, open brain, bubble, etc. They appear to leave a sand tunnel as they move across the rocks and around the fleshly base of the corals that they consume. I have tried CoralRx, Iodine, fresh water with physically removal of the pests but they just keep coming back. I'm considering Interceptor for the whole tank at this point.

The largest I have seen is about 2mm and appears to centipede like legs. Sorry the pics are a little blurry due to the size. Also included a pic of the sand trails, Thanks.

IMG_2718.JPG IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2741.JPG IMG_2778.JPG
 
Looks like a monti eater and remove and discard. Look daily for the next two weeks for any signs of eggs which are tiny
 
I will mention that they move relatively fast on the rocks and coral, not snail or nudi speed.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new