Please help me ID these crawlers!

  • Thread starter Thread starter 33AP
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

33AP

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2025
Messages
34
Reaction score
12
Location
13721 Richmond Hwy Unit 76 woodbridge Va 22191
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever they are have an appetite for Zoa Flesh..
20251101_113420_8D14712B-62EF-41D3-8F3E-A37FF939D298.png


20251101_113420_B0BD63A0-0CA6-4E57-9C78-108A435D2391.png

How i got them?
About five weeks ago, I received a Coral shipment from a well known seller in the hobby. Unfortunately it came with those pest. I always dip prior to adding any Coral into my tank, but they were resilient to any dips.

In the span of five weeks, they reproduce like crazy a lot of of my zoas started to decline and melt. I lost all of my high end due to this :(

I found that the only thing that really kills them off the frags is an iodine dip.. but they come right back since they are in the sand bed aswell.

I’m currently doing an interceptor dose. I started yesterday around 5PM only amphipods & copepods died. These crawlers are unfazed.. any recommendations as to what I should do? Thank you!
 
@vetteguy53081 usually has good advice on effective chemical additives... as far as natural pest control goes, a wrasse may help as well.
 
Whatever they are have an appetite for Zoa Flesh..
20251101_113420_8D14712B-62EF-41D3-8F3E-A37FF939D298.png


20251101_113420_B0BD63A0-0CA6-4E57-9C78-108A435D2391.png

How i got them?
About five weeks ago, I received a Coral shipment from a well known seller in the hobby. Unfortunately it came with those pest. I always dip prior to adding any Coral into my tank, but they were resilient to any dips.

In the span of five weeks, they reproduce like crazy a lot of of my zoas started to decline and melt. I lost all of my high end due to this :(

I found that the only thing that really kills them off the frags is an iodine dip.. but they come right back since they are in the sand bed aswell.

I’m currently doing an interceptor dose. I started yesterday around 5PM only amphipods & copepods died. These crawlers are unfazed.. any recommendations as to what I should do? Thank you!
Looks to be what is known as ostracods often called grass shrimp and feed on tank debris and detritus
 
@vetteguy53081 usually has good advice on effective chemical additives... as far as natural pest control goes, a wrasse may help as well.
Isn’t interceptor the strongest? That’s what I dosed, I have a mandarin & a possum wrasse
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new