ID Dip Critters

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the heads on my torch was closed up the other day, and I saw a black dot on it. Next it went straight into some coral RX and some critters fell off...

The head still isn't open (not even a day after the dip, but still...), so I'm hoping someone can ID these guys for me so I know if I should dip again soon or not.

Cheers

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The critters look like gunk and amphipods. Amphipods are usually harmless to corals, but may bother and chew a stressed or dying coral.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's polyp bailout. Theoretically the polyp can grow a new skeleton, but I think it's only been observed once or twice in aquaria.

What amount of dip in what amount of water did you use, and what kind of water was it?

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's polyp bailout. Theoretically the polyp can grow a new skeleton, but I think it's only been observed once or twice in aquaria.

What amount of dip in what amount of water did you use, and what kind of water was it?

I used the normal dose for coral RX in a gallon of tank water (four capfuls for 14 minutes) yesterday.

I didn't update last night, but the polyp decided it would like to be in my micromussa's mouth... That polyp is gone now, but hopefully the micromussa will be okay.

The other torch head seems fine today, though. Extended nicely and looking happy. Nothing came off in the second dip I did yesterday. I'll update this if that one perishes, though we've gotten pretty far from critter ID, haha.

What a mess.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back