ID for Red Mantis Shrimp He's a beauty :)

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone identify this mantis? I know that it is a smasher. its red with small amounts of yellow on its tail and legs. It is currently at my lfs being housed in that tiny plastic container. I was thinking about "rescuing" him lol. I know it's a lot to take on, but he has been in that tiny container for 3+ months. He has tried to crack it as well, so you know he's stressed. Anyway, I wanted to know how big it will get and what i can expect from him as far as diet and tank requirements (i know the general info on mantis and have been researching since I saw him). Also, they are asking $37 for it. is that a reasonable price? This would be my first mantis. I have been in the hobby over 2 years now
red mantis buddy.jpg

OP
OP
G

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a crappy iphone picture, but it's all I could grab in the split second that I got to see it. Also, are there any health concerns to look for in purchasing one?

BTW they ordered it special for a customer who decided they didn't want it, they will not order any more after they sell him.

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Neogonodactylus wennerae. I had one before that was red. ( was in a tank with alota red rocks) after a moult it turned green !

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium go here for info. Your so lucky he's so pretty keep him for sure get him a bigger tank though u lots of smaller smashers can even be housed with fish mine leave them alone. U can feed them anything they love hermit crabs, krill etc u can even feed them silver sides definitely get him a bigger tank though at the very least a 10gal for right now. Hope he stays red

OP
OP
G

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's not her tank!!!!! No no no I would never do that to an animal! That is the container they were keeping her (I found out she s female) in inside a larger aquarium so they could get her out to sell easily. Lol she's in a much larger tank now. She's in a 10 gal.

Thank you for the guide! I found out that she is a Gonodactylaceus glabrous. Not italicizing that drives me nuts btw! She has the bright orange spots on her clubs and fits the description.

I gave her some squid yesterday and she took a minute to come out and get it. I'm pretty sure she had just eaten a few ghost shrimp at the Lfs. She came out and explored the tank yesterday and I think she is getting more comfortable wi her new environment. I am trying to find fresh clams at a local grocery store but no one has any right now! What the heck?

Also she is 2.5 inches or so. Bright red and gorgeous! She molted while at the Lfs and stayed red so I'm stoked!
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1386359428.005053.jpg

That is her before I released her into her tank.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Neogonodactylus wennerae. I had one before that was red. ( was in a tank with alota red rocks) after a moult it turned green !

+1 wennerae
mine stayed red at least for the 3 years I had her and 5 years a friend had her, she was awesome

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N. wennerae have white meral spots. This one has orange. I'm gonna agree G. glabourous.

OP
OP
G

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes she has orange meral spots. She likes to show them to me when she gets upset lol. she is very timid but we will fix that =]

JDavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Real beauty. Once you have one... you'll always have soft spot for them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back