ID help - friend or foe

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jbern
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jbern

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ee29673e-2725-4a1b-b0b9-6ac4b9251b8f.jpg
Hi,
I hope the picture is good enough. There is some yellow stuff growing on my rock. I have read mixed views on it. Some people saying it is a sponge beneficial as a filter feeder, other mentioning risk of toxins. Any idea if this is even a sponge to start with? And whatever it is, is it a friend or foe?
Many thanks in advance.
 
I think a clearer picture under white light would be helpful to better ID
 
I think a clearer picture under white light would be helpful to better ID
 
c8926304-d9d4-42de-b171-5a57ffbdf314.jpg
1f74797c-0128-47c6-bc0f-306dd10769fb.jpg
Sorry, the angle makes it hard to get better pictures. But there are two shades of yellow I am not sure what they are. It is live rock, but I bought it long agk and has matured further in my tank.
 
c8926304-d9d4-42de-b171-5a57ffbdf314.jpg
1f74797c-0128-47c6-bc0f-306dd10769fb.jpg
Sorry, the angle makes it hard to get better pictures. But there are two shades of yellow I am not sure what they are. It is live rock, but I bought it long agk and has matured further in my tank.
I think you are talking about what looks like the majano anemones and they are pests and should be taken out by one of several methods (your choice). Natural or chemical. Simple or complex. There are many different ways that work for people here. Here’s a post that should be helpful: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/majano-anemones.319832/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new