ID help hitchhikers

FlimFlamUncleSam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time caller.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction in ID ING the items in the pictures. All of these are currently in my QT tank.

Seems like 2 odd things growing of my Favia and some stuff on my hammer. Any help is appreciated.

20211120_104648.jpg 20211120_104621.jpg 20211120_104627.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your first call... :)

Your top shot is Bryosis, the bottom shot could be more Bryosis sprouts.

Mid-shot is worms, but not sure of the exact species. Could be some small fan or tube worms???

#reefsqaud
Can you identify the worms in the middle shot?

thank you

OP
OP
F

FlimFlamUncleSam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Nice to know which way to go with this. I do have a feather duster in the QT tank that this is in so good possibility I guess. Thanks a million for the reply.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What you are seeing is sponge, along with as mentioned Bryopsis .
The sponge on the base is easy removal. The one on favia will be a challenge, Exposing sponge to air will stop them but favia is not a fan of long exposure to aair. 3
Option would be is to get a syringe and inject either air or vinegar into sponge which will shrink it and stop its growth
For Bryopsis, pull off the strands as best as you can then scrape off the roots of the strands. If the roots remain, it will keep coming back. You can se a dental pick to pull the roots or even a nail.

OP
OP
F

FlimFlamUncleSam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are seeing is sponge, along with as mentioned Bryopsis .
The sponge on the base is easy removal. The one on favia will be a challenge, Exposing sponge to air will stop them but favia is not a fan of long exposure to aair. 3
Option would be is to get a syringe and inject either air or vinegar into sponge which will shrink it and stop its growth
For Bryopsis, pull off the strands as best as you can then scrape off the roots of the strands. If the roots remain, it will keep coming back. You can se a dental pick to pull the roots or even a nail.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I will keep up with the removal as you mentioned and try and dig out those roots. I like this option better than what I was reading with the different tank additives.

Many thanks to you both for the input. Happy to have a path forward.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back