ID Help Please, Red Ogo Gracilaria ?

Spdstr280Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would appreciate some eyes on this for identification. I have had it in my tank for years, and it grows out well when I let the nutrients get a little high, so that means I usually have it. I'm setting up a new tank, and thinking that I will move it to my new refugium area. It doesn't seem to spread a lot or overwhelm anything. The only damage it seems to have ever caused is by shadowing. It is a great red / burgundy color, and the tips will turn very bright when damaged. Closest I can match it by pictures is red ogo gracilaria, but the growth form seems a little different.

RedMacro1.png

RedMacro2.png

RedMacro3.png

Thoughts ? Thanks !

Jason

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth pattern reminds me of Laurencia. Some what similar to Ganonema and Pterocladiella. We could also through in Hypnea (not the blue one) and Gelidiella. I think the subclass Florideae is as far as I can narrow it down to (which also includes gracilaria). Sorry if that doesn't help

OP
OP
Spdstr280Z

Spdstr280Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I appreciate the help. Looking at each of those, they do look similar "from a distance", especially Pterocladiella, but up close they all seem to have much better definition to the branching pattern, with a much more defined "trunk". Is there much variation in algae form depending on the characteristics of the water is is growing in ? Flow for example....

Thanks again,

Jason

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure about the whole growth thing but I assume the environment has at least some impact. Somewhat related, I had a huge clump of hitchhiker red macro that got eaten to the ground my by dolabella sea hare. I moved it to a different area and when it regrew, it looked completely different. Before it was branches profusely with almost feather-like fronds. Now it has several wiry runners and has almost no fronds whatsoever.

OP
OP
Spdstr280Z

Spdstr280Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure about the whole growth thing but I assume the environment has at least some impact. Somewhat related, I had a huge clump of hitchhiker red macro that got eaten to the ground my by dolabella sea hare. I moved it to a different area and when it regrew, it looked completely different. Before it was branches profusely with almost feather-like fronds. Now it has several wiry runners and has almost no fronds whatsoever.

Interesting, so the differences I am seeing vs pictures are entirely possible. You can see in the pictures that this one exhibits different growth patterns even in the same "clump".

Thanks,

Jason

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back