kou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7C014699-7F23-49CB-9446-CE535C252C28.jpeg

8A20BF46-E6A0-481A-9925-DAA54882B90C.jpeg
My Innovative Marine 30g long
It’s been running for about 20 months now and I’ve been collecting different macros for the last few months and figuring out my macro goals.
5CC4F9AA-1685-43A9-8B60-A9912E195431.jpeg

C45939CA-A4BA-456C-9DDC-8FF98DC4DC39.jpeg

My main colonies consist of what I believe is Halymenia Durvillei and (Ruffled) Halymenia Dilatata which boasts some gorgeous orange spots.
9CB7985E-97E4-4741-A165-F035911FE8A5.jpeg

6952F76B-5F5C-4205-BF9B-74047926645E.jpeg

I have a small ball of Chondria growing along with Blue hypnea pannosa.
There’s a red grape caulerpa just 1 strand and I have a ‘String of Pearls’ macro coming in the mail.
And as of late, my branching gracilaria has been taking off, also.
177EBB17-021B-4F82-91EC-A90EDC81B3C0.jpeg

My biggest concerns are getting a proper ID on these before I try to sell them and name them as something else. In particular, the halymenia durvillei, dilatata, and red ogo gracilaria. Thank you. 5CC4F9AA-1685-43A9-8B60-A9912E195431.jpeg 6C67526C-283B-41D6-9CAF-09381093E586.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a confirmation on the red ogo gracilaria. The durvillei I’m still confident on, but the dilatata is an educated guess. I haven’t been able to look up any other halymenia species that looks even close, so I’m calling it dilatata for now.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What conformation did you get on Red Ogo Gracilaria.
i suspect Gracilaria Parvispora or IndoOacifyc SeaFarm calls it Tang Heaven Red.
Tang Heaven Red™
The natural red seaweed diet of Tangs

Yellows, Hippos, Nasos, Blues, Koles, Achilles, etc. as well as many omnivores such as pygmy angels. Why invest in "terrestrial" diets like Romaine lettuce when a superior marine alternative is now available? Tang Heaven Red is 100% live natural seaweed from the place that made tangs famous - Hawaii's Kona coast. Tested and proven by IPSF for more than ten years as a COMPLETE diet for all of the popular ornamental surgeonfishes. High in natural fibers, which are known to combat, prevent and cure head and lateral line erosion disease. More convenient and economical than nori (dried seaweed). We achieve TOTAL wild color retention in Hawaiian tangs with the high levels of fresh pigments in Tang Heaven Red. Rich in garlic esters, Tang Heaven Red has superior medicinal properties which must be experienced to be fully appreciated. Shipped alive as moist fronds which you can add directly as food to your main tank, or float it in your sump or refugium as a living filter to remove ammonia, nitrates and phosphates.

What are you calling Red Grape Caulerpa?

Botryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.​
botryocluster.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking macro display.

My 30G mixed garden needs to start up a few other tanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
K

kou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What conformation did you get on Red Ogo Gracilaria.
i suspect Gracilaria Parvispora or IndoOacifyc SeaFarm calls it Tang Heaven Red.
Tang Heaven Red™
The natural red seaweed diet of Tangs

Yellows, Hippos, Nasos, Blues, Koles, Achilles, etc. as well as many omnivores such as pygmy angels. Why invest in "terrestrial" diets like Romaine lettuce when a superior marine alternative is now available? Tang Heaven Red is 100% live natural seaweed from the place that made tangs famous - Hawaii's Kona coast. Tested and proven by IPSF for more than ten years as a COMPLETE diet for all of the popular ornamental surgeonfishes. High in natural fibers, which are known to combat, prevent and cure head and lateral line erosion disease. More convenient and economical than nori (dried seaweed). We achieve TOTAL wild color retention in Hawaiian tangs with the high levels of fresh pigments in Tang Heaven Red. Rich in garlic esters, Tang Heaven Red has superior medicinal properties which must be experienced to be fully appreciated. Shipped alive as moist fronds which you can add directly as food to your main tank, or float it in your sump or refugium as a living filter to remove ammonia, nitrates and phosphates.

What are you calling Red Grape Caulerpa?

Botryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.​
botryocluster.jpg
Thank you for this. The botryocladia I interchange as red grape caulerpa and botryocladia, I was under the assumption they were the same thing!!

The red ogo I actually bought on ebay but the seller is on this forums, also.

OP
OP
K

kou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought for sure those are dragons breath

Dragons breath

Trying to get a little more in depth here with the ending names, although I know it's quite difficult.
Lots of people call dragons breath and dragons tongue the same thing and interchange them. Even when I google them, you get different thing in the pictures. What would you say is the difference between dragons tongue and dragons breath?
To my knowledge, dragons tongue macro is quite longer in tips (pictured) vs dragons breath is more bush-like but similar in appearance.
I have colonies of dragonswhatever, halymenia durvillei that are quite longer.

Attachments

• ok.png
    ok.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 31

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get a little more in depth here with the ending names, although I know it's quite difficult.
Lots of people call dragons breath and dragons tongue the same thing and interchange them. Even when I google them, you get different thing in the pictures. What would you say is the difference between dragons tongue and dragons breath?
To my knowledge, dragons tongue macro is quite longer in tips (pictured) vs dragons breath is more bush-like but similar in appearance.
I have colonies of dragonswhatever, halymenia durvillei that are quite longer.
I think that depends on what the colony initially looks like it self. As you said some are bushy while others are thinner. It could just be what the internet wants to call it based off looks. But I’ve only heard of dragons breath and in person they all look the same. Anything else becomes a sales pitch.

OP
OP
K

kou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking macro display.

My 30G mixed garden needs to start up a few other tanks.
cool. Is that botryocladia also on the right? How do you keep yours clean, just a gentle shake every so often? I never know if I should be lots of flow or none or medium or whatever.

OP
OP
K

kou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that depends on what the colony initially looks like it self. As you said some are bushy while others are thinner. It could just be what the internet wants to call it based off looks. But I’ve only heard of dragons breath and in person they all look the same. Anything else becomes a sales pitch.
Yeah I suppose at the end of the day its just another indo gold torch.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool. Is that botryocladia also on the right? How do you keep yours clean, just a gentle shake every so often? I never know if I should be lots of flow or none or medium or whatever.
Several things work to keep Bortacladia clean; high current, pods, snails and emerald crabs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back