ID help

Ladyocto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I just got my second ever octopus yesterday and could use some help iding her (I believe it's a girl). I was told she was caught somewhere in the Eastern Pacific Ocean. Here are some pics
20240201_170811.jpg
20240201_171340.jpg
20240201_171343.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; a quick google search indicates it could very well be an eastern pacific octopus, although most pictures online indicate it being a much darker red. however, it does seem colored down in your pictures. considering they said that is where it was sourced, i would guess it is likely this.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check in on tonmo's forums, there's a lot of octopi that look identical or have subtle specifications that I would never feel comfortable giving an ID myself.

Color isn't a good way to tell (other than blue rings for obvious reasons) since cephalopods are very color shifting even in mood swings.

EDIT: yeah even from briefly looking on that forum there's so many minute things I wouldn't know where to begin for an ID.

Last edited:

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a pic of it on the glass where you can see the legs and suckers, it might help a lot. And yeah, tonmo is the best place to post for an id! Does it look shiny green in some light? The color that the eyes look in the second pic you posted… It could be a briareus which will get a bit bigger. Also the mantle shape and the skin around the eyes help! If it looks like the skin around the eyes is shaped like a star, it’s a mercatoris

OP
OP
Ladyocto

Ladyocto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; a quick google search indicates it could very well be an eastern pacific octopus, although most pictures online indicate it being a much darker red. however, it does seem colored down in your pictures. considering they said that is where it was sourced, i would guess it is likely this.
Thank you for the welcome !

OP
OP
Ladyocto

Ladyocto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a pic of it on the glass where you can see the legs and suckers, it might help a lot. And yeah, tonmo is the best place to post for an id! Does it look shiny green in some light? The color that the eyes look in the second pic you posted… It could be a briareus which will get a bit bigger. Also the mantle shape and the skin around the eyes help! If it looks like the skin around the eyes is shaped like a star, it’s a mercatoris
I will definitely try to do that tonight as it seems she's nocturnal. I'm also on TONMO and did post a thread with some pics on there too, but it seems that the person who's good at IDing them hasn't been on in awhile so I just thought I would see if there was anyone else who might know. I haven't noticed any shinny green, unfortunately. I'll have to look up some pictures of Mercatoris for later when she comes out.

OP
OP
Ladyocto

Ladyocto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This caused me to have octos on the brain and in my dream. I want another one :loudly-crying-face:
Aw. Hope you can get another one. I haven't kept them long (this one only being my second), but I absolutely love them .

OP
OP
Ladyocto

Ladyocto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more pics. Sorry the quality isn't too great. The little stinker is up trashing her tank lol.
IMG_20240203_220852.jpg
IMG_20240203_220849.jpg
IMG_20240203_220844.jpg
IMG_20240203_220843.jpg
IMG_20240203_220835.jpg
IMG_20240203_220828.jpg

OP
OP
Ladyocto

Ladyocto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update for anyone else looking on here for ID help for their Octo it looks like little Robin is a Bocki octopus .

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back