ID help

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also they pretty much disappear at night and come back full force when lights come on. The patch with the bubbles is on my rock. The strands on the sand look more like GHA to be honest. No bubbles on those. But when i started to get worried it was just the brown on the sand in the picture. Is it possible to gave all 3? Diatoms, GHA and dinos?
This is what I used I my 75 gal. Need a small pump and hang it off the back of the tank. I only ran it at night. I dosed hydrogen peroxide at 1ml per 10 gallons at night and microbactor7 in the morning. Took me about 4 months to beat dinos.
IMO, you want to deal with Dino before hair or diatoms. Dino is the worse of the 3 evils.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-063941_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-063941_Chrome.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I used I my 75 gal. Need a small pump and hang it off the back of the tank. I only ran it at night. I dosed hydrogen peroxide at 1ml per 10 gallons at night and microbactor7 in the morning. Took me about 4 months to beat dinos.
IMO, you want to deal with Dino before hair or diatoms. Dino is the worse of the 3 evils.
If they are only on OPs sandbed, is it likely those are the small cell amphidinium and UV doesn't work on those.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys so much for helping me. My lights come on around 11 and I'll change to white and try to get a good picture. It's water change day. 10% should I still do that or no? I also have new corals arriving today. I'll do the test to see if they turn brown and slimy as well.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also they pretty much disappear at night and come back full force when lights come on. The patch with the bubbles is on my rock. The strands on the sand look more like GHA to be honest. No bubbles on those. But when i started to get worried it was just the brown on the sand in the picture. Is it possible to gave all 3? Diatoms, GHA and dinos?

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys so much for helping me. My lights come on around 11 and I'll change to white and try to get a good picture. It's water change day. 10% should I still do that or no? I also have new corals arriving today. I'll do the test to see if they turn brown and

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I still do my water change today or wait?
As long as the possible dinos are not smothering any corals, you could. It is advised no not do them when fighting dinos so you can starve the dino of a trace element they need to reproduce. Since you don't know yet though, one water change today should not hurt.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 43 gallon red sea xl200. I believe the sump holds 8 or 9 gallons as well. Would the one you posted work for my tank? Also I assume you have to have a separate pump. What would work for that? I'm not really familiar with how they work. I know you adjust flow rates for whatever problem you're trying to solve. My husband said to just go ahead and order a uv because he's sure this will not be the last time we will need one.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 43 gallon red sea xl200. I believe the sump holds 8 or 9 gallons as well. Would the one you posted work for my tank? Also I assume you have to have a separate pump. What would work for that? I'm not really familiar with how they work. I know you adjust flow rates for whatever problem you're trying to solve. My husband said to just go ahead and order a uv because he's sure this will not be the last time we will need one.
You can always go bigger. It's too small you need to worry about. A 15W is the recommended size for your size tank.

If you get the jebao, there is a non-uv resistant part at the end opposite where you install the UV bulb that has been deteriorating in people's tanks. I avoided that one entirely because people did not know what was the cause then and I didn't want microplastics leaching all over my tank. You apparently can just remove that piece and this stops the degrading.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220615_103235.jpg
so this is with lights out and only with ambient lighting. Lights have 30 mintues before they come on and I'll get the strands I can see. So the brown on the sand does not go away at night. I guess my eyes are getting old lol!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small pump laying around I used. Like the old mj1200. You don't need a lot of flow, 200 gph is all. Pull from the tank and back to the tank. I put a small cheap ball valve on the output side just to get some adjustment out of it.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220615_120006.jpg

Alright these are with whites. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th have the very tiny bubbles buts its only like 3 or 4 bubbles and very hard to see. You can also only see them with the whites on this morning. The other pictures are just other random spots of strands around the tank. I am about to start my water change and maybe see what I can get out with the siphon thingy. I thought maybe there were more short strands were bubbles yesterday but I'm not seeing them in the same places today. You'll also have to forgive the fact that I'm calling afternoon morning. My husband is a truck driver and our schedules aren't normal haha!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220615_120006.jpg

Alright these are with whites. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th have the very tiny bubbles buts its only like 3 or 4 bubbles and very hard to see. You can also only see them with the whites on this morning. The other pictures are just other random spots of strands around the tank. I am about to start my water change and maybe see what I can get out with the siphon thingy. I thought maybe there were more short strands were bubbles yesterday but I'm not seeing them in the same places today. You'll also have to forgive the fact that I'm calling afternoon morning. My husband is a truck driver and our schedules aren't normal haha!
What a differance from morning until after lights are on. I say it's Dinos. You also have diatoms but no worries about them. Need to get the dinos out first.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a UV light that you can place in the sump and will not need a separate pump. This is what I use, 15 watt and on 24/7.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 10-01-18 Amazon.com 7W Aquarium Water Green Clean Lamp Algae Bloom Cl...png
    Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 10-01-18 Amazon.com 7W Aquarium Water Green Clean Lamp Algae Bloom Cl...png
    171.9 KB · Views: 18

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a UV light that you can place in the sump and will not need a separate pump. This is what I use, 15 watt and on 24/7.
That will also kill your pods near that location and can cause macular degeneration if you look into it often enough. Contained units are much better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back