OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I pulled out of the patch of the 2nd,3rd and 4th picture from earlier. The one that I thought had bubbles on it. It's not slimy. I think its more green than anything. I'm not sure If I did the paper towel test right though lol!

Attachments

• 20220615_141731.jpg
    20220615_141731.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220615_141638.jpg
    20220615_141638.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 21

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I pulled out of the patch of the 2nd,3rd and 4th picture from earlier. The one that I thought had bubbles on it. It's not slimy. I think its more green than anything. I'm not sure If I did the paper towel test right though lol!
This looks like hair algae. Look up bryopsis and make sure it's not that. That will looks like it's a fern at the ends.

I got hair AFTER I got dinos cuz I raised nutrients to beat dinos. This is a balancing act that we do.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys. I guess I'll just wait until Friday for the scope. To be honest I think its multiple things going on. The strand with bubbles could also be the rocks releasing bubbles too or no? I sometimes see bubbles rising from them especially after I turn my 2nd powerhead on that I occasionally turn off at night to give my nem a chance to find his happy place. Knowing my luck I have everything that could go wrong going on in there. All but my zoas seem happy. This is frustrating. But I really do appreciate everyone's help and I will update this on Friday with the sample pictures.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOW you can see the bubbles that weren't there this morning. If these are attached to something other than the Rock, I can't see the strands. Just rock and bubble.

Attachments

• 20220615_163115.jpg
    20220615_163115.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 23

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will also kill your pods near that location and can cause macular degeneration if you look into it often enough. Contained units are much better.
Sorry for not mentioning that, you are correct. What I have is the 1" thick foam sheets in my sump covering the UV bulb, the same stuff used as foam filter material. The water has to flow through the foam anyway and the light is not visible until I move it over to check on it. I have no baffles in my sump so I also use that material to cut down on micro bubbles from the skimmer.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st pic, the big one that I assume kind of spins like a top. Is what I think is ostreopsis.

What you show in the second pic and the small ones in the first pic are probably small cell amphidinium.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so where do I start to remove them? I assume UV and raise nutrients?
If I got the ID right, UV and raising nutrients works for the ostreopsis. Small cell amphidinium requires dosing enough silicates high enough to force a diatom bloom that will outcompete them (use water glass it's way cheaper than spongexcel)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok scope came in. I did my best. What do I have?
ostreopsis as others have said. the other small brown cells are too small I think to be one of our problem dinos.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I was able to get my Jebao uv hooked up. The same night it busted down the seam dumping about 2 gallons of water all over my floor. However I have been dosing phyto, pods, bacteria and just got my silicate in today. Following instructions on Mack's Dino it says to dose .2ml but to mix with 250ml of RODI. If I do this, won't that cup of water change my salinity? My husband says no but I just want to be sure it won't and cause more harm. I've lost all of my sps within a week so I want to get that diatom bloom asap!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I was able to get my Jebao uv hooked up. The same night it busted down the seam dumping about 2 gallons of water all over my floor. However I have been dosing phyto, pods, bacteria and just got my silicate in today. Following instructions on Mack's Dino it says to dose .2ml but to mix with 250ml of RODI. If I do this, won't that cup of water change my salinity? My husband says no but I just want to be sure it won't and cause more harm. I've lost all of my sps within a week so I want to get that diatom bloom asap!
Don't worry about the RODI. It's a small enough amount that your salinity will be fine unless this is like a 5 gallon tank. It's just early top off.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost all of my sps within a week so I want to get that diatom bloom asap!
Birdsnest are quick to become victims. Can’t say I’ve had trouble with any other acros though : (
All the dinos created a huge spike in my PH, so I did have to check Alk levels daily throughout the process.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back