ID Help

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got mostly 3 large structures glued/mortared together I am hoping to avoid having to pull out. I am trying to get a positive ID It doesn't really seem ferney or feathery to me, but maybe I am not a good judge of that attribute.

I have been trying to control with manual removal and nutrient control. Unlikely I am getting a accurate PO4 with all this growing within, but I have been testing at about 0.06-0.1. when I change out my rowaphos, and .02-.05 on the low end so it varies quite a bit. I struggled to hold any phosphate the first year I was running, but then eventually between feeding corals more often it had started to creep up.

Manual removal just really is quite difficult at this point, and I cannot tell if I am making much of a dent in its population. I likely am not able to reach all of the roots and it just grows back. It certainly doesnt get as bad as it was at what I hope was the peak.

It is mainly on a bunch of rock work, along with some smaller populations of turf algae, bubble algae, and some like flat soft platey type. What ends up on the sandbed I am not sure if its really growing in the sandbed or if its just like a tumble weed down there. Im pretty sure its the latter, and seems to accumulate in the lower flow areas.

IMG_2823.JPEG IMG_2824.JPEG IMG_2828.JPEG IMG_2834.JPEG

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of turf algae to me. A couple methods you can try but be forewarned they are a bit tedious. You can use H2O2 in a syringe to gradually kill off small areas, I wouldn't use more than 1mm per gallon per week. You can also use steel straws with a siphon to scrape it off and remove it from the system. If you do use steel straws don't siphon water through a filter sock to return water to the tank, turf algae dumps lots of harmful DOCs into the water and you don't want to return water from siphoning it out back to your system. Animals that i would add to help control it along with manual removal would be short spine urchins like the caribbean pink, tuxedo and royal, larger algae eating hermits like thin strip hermits and sally lightfoot crabs. Unless you PO4 is high, >.5 mg/l I wouldn't worry about trying to lower it.

OP
OP
Eldritch_blast

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of turf algae to me. A couple methods you can try but be forewarned they are a bit tedious. You can use H2O2 in a syringe to gradually kill off small areas, I wouldn't use more than 1mm per gallon per week. You can also use steel straws with a siphon to scrape it off and remove it from the system. If you do use steel straws don't siphon water through a filter sock to return water to the tank, turf algae dumps lots of harmful DOCs into the water and you don't want to return water from siphoning it out back to your system. Animals that i would add to help control it along with manual removal would be short spine urchins like the caribbean pink, tuxedo and royal, larger algae eating hermits like thin strip hermits and sally lightfoot crabs. Unless you PO4 is high, >.5 mg/l I wouldn't worry about trying to lower it.
Thanks for all the information! All very helpful.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back