ID NEEDED PLEASE

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some sort of brown/red alga growing on my substrate. I took a sample of it and put it under a microscope - see pics below:

IMG_3228.jpeg IMG_3229.jpeg

Any thoughts as to what this might be?

My latest testing:
pH 8.6
SG 1.026
NO3 0
PO3 0.03
dKH 9.6

I'm dosing iodine and NoPox. And I've been slowly lowering the NoPox dose and feeding more to get the nitrates up a bit. I really thought the alga were dinos, because of my low nitrates. But these don't look like any of the dinos I've seen pix of.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm also having issues with some zoas closing up - figured it was due to the low nitrates, but now I'm not sure.

Would appreciate any help!

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some sort of brown/red alga growing on my substrate. I took a sample of it and put it under a microscope - see pics below:

IMG_3228.jpeg IMG_3229.jpeg

Any thoughts as to what this might be?

My latest testing:
pH 8.6
SG 1.026
NO3 0
PO3 0.03
dKH 9.6

I'm dosing iodine and NoPox. And I've been slowly lowering the NoPox dose and feeding more to get the nitrates up a bit. I really thought the alga were dinos, because of my low nitrates. But these don't look like any of the dinos I've seen pix of.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm also having issues with some zoas closing up - figured it was due to the low nitrates, but now I'm not sure.

Would appreciate any help!
I wouldn't dose any nopox, you have 0 nitrates! Anytime your n03 and p04 go out of wack, you're gonna have algea growth.
My zoas always close up if my nitrates get low, they love "dirty water".
I'd try and get your nitrates up to about 10 and p04 to about 0.1 and let her sit there for a week and see if your mystery algea slowly disappears. Bottoming out nitrates was an old style of reefing that I think caused more issues than not. 100:1 ratio of n03:p04 seems to pop up everywhere there is a healthy system.
But I'd get it close to 10 and .1, then set your dose up and see how much your n03 drops in a week, adjust and test adjust and test. Probably start on the lower dose as to not shock the system.

Hope it all works out for you!

OP
OP
I

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose any nopox, you have 0 nitrates! Anytime your n03 and p04 go out of wack, you're gonna have algea growth.
My zoas always close up if my nitrates get low, they love "dirty water".
I'd try and get your nitrates up to about 10 and p04 to about 0.1 and let her sit there for a week and see if your mystery algea slowly disappears. Bottoming out nitrates was an old style of reefing that I think caused more issues than not. 100:1 ratio of n03:p04 seems to pop up everywhere there is a healthy system.
But I'd get it close to 10 and .1, then set your dose up and see how much your n03 drops in a week, adjust and test adjust and test. Probably start on the lower dose as to not shock the system.

Hope it all works out for you!
Thanks for the advice - I have stopped the NoPox.

But any ideas as to what I was seeing under the microscope?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a clue! But I have been eyeballing some microscopes after seeing this post so I can be more educated on what is what and what I've done to fix said what lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back