NEED ID HELP

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed these growths poking out of the rock in various places in my tank. A pic of three of them is attached:

IMG_3226.jpeg

Any ideas as to what these are?

My latest testing: pH 8.6
SG 1.026
NO3 0
PO3 0.03
dKH 9.6

I'm dosing iodine and NoPox. And I've been slowly lowering the NoPox dose and feeding more to get the nitrates up a bit.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm also having issues with some zoas closing up and brown/red alga(?) growing on the substrate.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vermetid snails.

Pretty mild as far as pests go. . . but a pest none the less (at least in my opinion).

They send out a mucous "net" to catch food in the water column.

I crush them when I can, If you do the same, make sure you get the base/body of the snail. Breaking just the tube will note kill them and they will make a new tube.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed these growths poking out of the rock in various places in my tank. A pic of three of them is attached:

IMG_3226.jpeg

Any ideas as to what these are?

My latest testing: pH 8.6
SG 1.026
NO3 0
PO3 0.03
dKH 9.6

I'm dosing iodine and NoPox. And I've been slowly lowering the NoPox dose and feeding more to get the nitrates up a bit.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm also having issues with some zoas closing up and brown/red alga(?) growing on the substrate.
Those are vermetids.

But... How old is your tank? With your nutrients bottomed out, STOP carbon dosing!!

OP
OP
I

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snails.

Pretty mild as far as pests go. . . but a pest none the less (at least in my opinion).

They send out a mucous "net" to catch food in the water column.

I crush them when I can, If you do the same, make sure you get the base/body of the snail. Breaking just the tube will note kill them and they will make a new tube.
Tks for the id.

They seem to be growing out of holes in the rock. So I'm thinking maybe use a qtip swab to get at the base??? Or will aiptasia x work on them if I squirt some into the hole?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tks for the id.

They seem to be growing out of holes in the rock. So I'm thinking maybe use a qtip swab to get at the base??? Or will aiptasia x work on them if I squirt some into the hole?
Are they producing any webs? I have small ones like yours and they don't bother the coral at all. You will NEVER get rid of them all, so don't make extra work for yourself if they aren't causing a problem...

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tks for the id.

The easiest thing to do is to crush them with something hard, like a screwdriver or bone cutters. I use pointy long tongs that have angled tips that reach hard to get to places. But, yup, they are hard to get rid of, and not the end of the world at all.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help.

The tank is 5 years old. I didn't think it was safe to suddenly stop the NoPox? Thought a slow decrease would be safer?
A medium decrease maybe... Also, since you're dosing iodine, I assume you're testing this as well?

OP
OP
I

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest thing to do is to crush them with something hard, like a screwdriver or bone cutters. I use pointy long tongs that have angled tips that reach hard to get to places. But, yup, they are hard to get rid of, and not the end of the world at all.
Appreciate the suggestions!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One handed fly fishing pliers work well too!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back