Ph up, dkh down.

AdamK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for reassurance here more than anything.

New tank build. Cycled with Red Sea reef mature. Continuing to dose nopox.

320 litre
Sg 1.026
Temp 26c
Ph 8.6
Dkh 8.6
Nitrate 14.6
phosphate 0.003
Nasties 0

Alk was initially high. About 12dkh, from dry rock I think. I've been dosing triton core 7 other methods at a rate that still allows for it to drop, but not free fall. I'm down to 8.6 now over 3 weeks, which is where I'll aim to stabilise. i dont have much in the system yet. Some zoas, a duncans, couple of monti caps and some gha. Oh, and a tired looking birdsnest colony bout golf ball size. Got for nought, maybe it will bounce back.

Everything in the tank looks healthy. I'm dosing phosphorous too. Not much, but if I don't I can't get a reading at all. I'm using the hanna ulr phosphorous ppb tester. My logic here is that the nopox requires phosphate to do its job of nutrient reduction. If I don't dose phosphate my nitrates creep up. Dosing phosphates and nopox and they are dropping nicely. Was at 26 after the cycle.

My ph has always been around 8, 8.2, but today I tested, and it's 8.6. Just a little surprised to see it rise. I did hook up a co2 scrubber to my skimmer recently. More to maintain ph than raise it as the tank is in the lounge where people breath a lot! Seems its done too good of a job.

Does all look well there? Ph rising and alk dropping ok? Would anyone be concerned about a ph of 8.6?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back