ID, no clue what this is

CatsandClowns

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 24, 2025
Messages
135
Reaction score
51
Location
San Diego CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20260120_122120_36A4E549-9C60-4D19-A24C-6A9D65C5B0D9.png

Anybody have an idea what this could be. I can’t really get any better angle to take a good photo since it’s under a rock structure. Genuinely no clue what it is, first thought was a pretty red rock, but I noticed it’s got these strange tubes poking out the top and side.
 
Tunicate? Does it move at all or react if you poke it with something?
 
It’s tough to reach so I haven’t tried. But my gramma swims overtop of it all the time and it never moves
Likely wouldn't until something physically touches it. Another way to tell is to watch and see if it "pulses"
they expand and contract to move water in and out to filter feed
 
It’s tough to reach so I haven’t tried. But my gramma swims overtop of it all the time and it never moves
Likely wouldn't until something physically touches it. Another way to tell is to watch and see if it "pulses"
they expand and contract to move water in and out to filter feed
I can’t say i notice any pulsing movement in them but that just could be because of the size. In total I’d say it’s about the size of a quarter
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new