ID please: long-standing algae problem

SnowD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a long-standing (about 6 months) algae problem in my tank. I thought algae will be gone eventually, but it's not. This time I'd like to know what they are and to try right solutions.

My tank information:
Fluval edge 6G
Light: DIY LED (8 Royal blue + 4 white)
Jebao SW-2 wavemaker
Water parameters (API test): Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0, ph 8.4, kh 8.5
Water parameters (Salifert): Ca 480, Mg 1275

Recently I added a 4G sump and some dry rocks. Some brown algae start to spread on the dry rock and back glass wall. With the sump addition, I had big parameter swing (mostly ph and kh) and killed some corals.

Now the water parameters are in stable (within tester kit error). I'll upload photos and microscopy images with some explanations. Please ID algae. If you let me know the exact name, it would be great.

1. Brown algae. This one start to appear 6 mo ago. It was so bad first but over the time it decreased very much , but it still exist in my tank. When light off, it decrease while it increases during the day with light on. I think this is dino. Is it correct?
Dark area is dense algae. I can see some thin and thick strand and also bunch of small spherical things. These spherical things were moving around. I'm not sure this is actually moving by itself or it is because of water. But it looks moving around.
2Dino.jpg

2. Brown algae. This one started after sump addition (1 mo ago) on dry rocks. Very similar to the first one. I'm not sure if it's the same kind or not.
1Brown.jpg

3. Green algae. This one has been in my tank for long time. It only exist at 2 small patches.
3gha.jpg

4. Green algae. The other one of the patches mentioned above. I dipped this orange zoa on diluted hydrogen peroxide 3 times over several mo. The algae started to decrease but eventually it grows again.
4gha.jpg

5. Green algae. This one is new. After sump addition, it started to grow on the return loc line. Is this GHA?
5gha.jpg

I think I have at lease 3 different kinds of algae: (1) No.1&2, (2) No.3&4, and (3) No.5. I'm not sure what the small spherical things are; but, except the last green algae, all algae has bunch of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnowD

SnowD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Paullawr and donnievaz. It seems that I have dino everywhere. I'll focus on dino more first.

I have a question for donnievaz. Do you know what is the best way to remove green turf algae? Thanks in advance. I'll also google it.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Paullawr and donnievaz. It seems that I have dino everywhere. I'll focus on dino more first.

I have a question for donnievaz. Do you know what is the best way to remove green turf algae? Thanks in advance. I'll also google it.

I've had pretty good luck with a product called Vibrant on GHA. Haven't had any turf in a long time. Search on here for the Vibrant thread and study up before you make a decision to use it or not. If you can get the rock out you can also spot treat with hydrogen peroxide, I've had great results with that as well.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for vibrant lots of success stories.

May help with Dino's but don't count on it. Still worth a shot. For other algae is rather affective.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back