ID Please! What's growing on my acro frag?!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very tough. I don't know of any cuc that will eat it either. Its best to toss it sadly. I thought @WheatToast would have liked to add it to his macro tank. Perhaps not a good fit.
My 18” vlamingi is the only thing I have ever seen eat it. Had some on a frag disk a while back and he decimated it lol.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. It reminds me so much of mushrooms and I love mycology. I'm kinda bummed that I can't just leave it. The biodiversity would be rad.
For what it’s worth ….
I have bought many frags and colonies with that exact same algae .
ive always left it .
And now under my one maxi mini carpet anemone is a rather large garden of this plating algae but mine is a very dark red colour

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could always pop the acro off and put it on a new plug, then put the plug with the algae in a jar of tank water. Set that in indirect sunlight, and I bet it'd grow.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very tough. I don't know of any cuc that will eat it either. Its best to toss it sadly. I thought @WheatToast would have liked to add it to his macro tank. Perhaps not a good fit.
I would love to obtain that macroalgae! However, it would be wise to isolate it to a small rock island on my sandbed.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not care were my frags come from. They always get removed from the plug they arrived on and put on new plugs. You never know what could be on that plug and it doesn't matter if you dip the frag and brush it there's alwaysa risk of missing something. It's not that hard to put a coral on a new plug. It's just a peice of mind thing to me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back