Friend Nuked my Acro?

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over Thanksgiving break I had a buddy feed my tank and he bumped into one of the AI Prime 16s and tilted it so instead of pointing straight down it angled it right towards an acro and a few other corals. The acro is pretty high up in the tank. It was like this for a few days before I noticed and fixed it. The acro suffered some pretty significant tissue loss, so I figured I’d just lower the light output and hope for the best. Anyway that was a few weeks ago and I haven’t really noticed any further tissue loss or regrowth. Any thoughts on what I can do?
IMG_6435.jpeg
IMG_6436.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut off the dead ends to prevent algae shading?

Get new friends, :face-with-hand-over-mouth: Otherwise, I don't have anything helpful, sorry it happened.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut off the dead ends to prevent algae shading?

Get new friends, :face-with-hand-over-mouth: Otherwise, I don't have anything helpful, sorry it happened.
Haha I appreciate that he otherwise kept everything fed so I couldn’t openly complain about it. He said he was afraid the eel would bite him lol. Should I use a toothbrush to knock off some of the algae or would that do more harm than good?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I appreciate that he otherwise kept everything fed so I couldn’t openly complain about it. He said he was afraid the eel would bite him lol. Should I use a toothbrush to knock off some of the algae or would that do more harm than good?
I've gotten into the habit of trimming off dead branches when something knocks back the flesh that far. I think the fresh break stimulates new growth to happen on the damaged ends and I think that they recover faster than just allowing the coral grow back over the dead skeleton? With algae growing on the tips I think that inhibits regrowth, but I have let them alone and had them regrow back but often they take a while to recover the injured spot and sometimes they just grow with a dead limb sticking out of the new growth.

I understand about the difficulty of finding a good coral sitter. You got to work with what you have! :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back