ID Please

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody please help ID these oval shaped things on my glass? Slow moving, kind of dark grey from center to one end, look like tiny cilia along the perimeter. Thanks.

f08e1928e79bb3de5d580b3c9bb8b72a.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody please help ID these oval shaped things on my glass? Slow moving, kind of dark grey from center to one end, look like tiny cilia along the perimeter. Thanks.

f08e1928e79bb3de5d580b3c9bb8b72a.png
Could be flatworms Any better pictures with the lights on? #mods can we get this moved over to the hitchhiker and critter id thread please :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any tails on them like ghost flatworms, they are just oval shaped. Here is another pic. Thanks for your help with this!

0c291f05cd463107990b76709a0701fe.png
Are you seeing them on any coral or just on the glass? Definitely flatworms. #reefsquad any idea on an exact species?

OP
OP
ReefKeeperElite

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing them on any coral or just on the glass? Definitely flatworms. #reefsquad any idea on an exact species?

They are just on the glass. They started with one or two just a week ago. Today I have about 10 on the glass. At about the same time, I see a small outbreak of asterina starfish. Maybe related? They kind of look similar except for the shape.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like baby Chitons IMO.

They are just on the glass. They started with one or two just a week ago. Today I have about 10 on the glass. At about the same time, I see a small outbreak of asterina starfish. Maybe related? They kind of look similar except for the shape.
Could be, any chance of getting a picture from the other side to see if the top of the critter resembles a chiton?

OP
OP
ReefKeeperElite

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chitons, I think. Need a pic from the top of em to be sure.

Thanks! I’ve checked online and found a few similar pics. One on wetwebmedia looks exactly like mine. All identified as chitons. As the lights came on they hid away. There was one left on the glass, and I tried to grab it for a pic from the top of it, but couldn’t find the handle. I’ll try again tomorrow, but pretty sure of the chiton ID. Thanks all for the help.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Chitons. The segmented shell gives them away. Very cool addition to your CUC. Wish I had more than the little one I found under a frag plug while housekeeping the other day.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back