Id red snail

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeterEde
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 8, 2021
Messages
2,625
Reaction score
2,194
Location
Adelaide, South Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this snail.
20220618_233514.jpg
 
Yep looks like that.
I found it at a goni. Looked to be nibbling at it?
Given the family that it's in, it's unlikely that it would go after corals, but I can't rule it out altogether (I can't find any information about the diet of this specific snail - or even any of the other snails in the genus that I've looked at). Again, though, since it's in the dove snail family, it's probably just eating microalgae growing near (or possibly on) the goni.

If you're concerned, I'd say to keep an eye on it for a few days to see if any of your corals show signs of irritation or damage that can't be explained by other things, but I'd think it pretty unlikely.
 
Given the family that it's in, it's unlikely that it would go after corals, but I can't rule it out altogether (I can't find any information about the diet of this specific snail - or even any of the other snails in the genus that I've looked at). Again, though, since it's in the dove snail family, it's probably just eating microalgae growing near (or possibly on) the goni.

If you're concerned, I'd say to keep an eye on it for a few days to see if any of your corals show signs of irritation or damage that can't be explained by other things, but I'd think it pretty unlikely.
thanks for your help
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new