ID request, just showed up and going Hard

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This algea just showed up in my frag tank about two weeks ago and is going hard in the paint.

Very slimy, dark brown with a green tint in color.

Wondering if anyone can ID. These pics are under full white lights.

In the video if you look at the rock at the front, That rock was clean 5 days ago.

PXL_20211019_174337514.jpg PXL_20211019_174332006.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient levels in frag tank? It may help nail down whether its algae at all. Ive dealt with all kinds of stuff. Thought I had algae but turned out to be dinos. The slime part may be a clue.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't possibly be worse than my kool-aid nitrates in tank 2. Actually just rigged up carbon/ de nitrate pad to try and get it under control. I cant keep phosphates in the system and dealing with all kinds of dinos and algae issues rigjt now. On top of that im running metazorb in tank 2 now to help pull out whatever metal may have leached from skimmer impeller shift incident.
New tanks are difficult man. Keeping healthy balance of nutrients is totally key. Most old systems can drink kool-aid and never have an issue. Totally different ball game for sure.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't possibly be worse than my kool-aid nitrates in tank 2. Actually just rigged up carbon/ de nitrate pad to try and get it under control. I cant keep phosphates in the system and dealing with all kinds of dinos and algae issues rigjt now. On top of that im running metazorb in tank 2 now to help pull out whatever metal may have leached from skimmer impeller shift incident.
New tanks are difficult man. Keeping healthy balance of nutrients is totally key. Most old systems can drink kool-aid and never have an issue. Totally different ball game for sure.
As you know I usually run on the opposite end of phosphates. Unreadable with the Hanna

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
water change, phos remover,and a butt load of snails... ;)
nitrates :cool:phos ,like to see .25 or under...jmo.:)

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like new tank uglies , I would up the cuc gang and continue as normal just make sure nitrate > 10 phos > .01. I got algae that looked like that for a month when I transferred my tank it just went away

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the lack of biodiversity in the frag tank has something to do with it. There's almost zero rock in the system which I assume would be out out competing the dinos normally and this tank running on the trusty fx4.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like new tank uglies , I would up the cuc gang and continue as normal just make sure nitrate > 10 phos > .01. I got algae that looked like that for a month when I transferred my tank it just went away
Weird thing is it's (the tank) been going for a while And these didn't pop up until I brought over all of the frags from the display sump. Started there and blew up to attach to everything

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@F i s h y ,peroxide ??

and phos remover /snails asap. crap grows quick.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird thing is it's (the tank) been going for a while And these didn't pop up until I brought over all of the frags from the display sump. Started there and blew up to attach to everything
I think you are right it’s some nuisance algae that was able to take hold due to low diversity it will go away with time / cuc maybe only run blue lights for a bit to help

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to cuc this tank. The Latin Turbo has been doing work where I placed it this morning. Any other recommendations? I'm due for a reorder from reef cleaners anyways.

That dottyback you warned me about... Took out a metric cralpoad before I got it out

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right it’s some nuisance algae that was able to take hold due to low diversity it will go away with time / cuc maybe only run blue lights for a bit to help
Now that you bring it up, the sump frags had lived under blues only for the last 4 months. Coming back into this tank would have been the first white light exposure.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
trochus ,turbos,astreas, ceirths ,skip the crabs ,they just kill the snails... ;)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back