ID what is on my Anthias

frofan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a blotched anthias a few weeks ago. In the last few days I have noticed something on both sides of it. The Anthias was pre quarantined for 4 weeks. Is this disease or possibly from hiding in the rock work?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I picked up a blotched anthias a few weeks ago. In the last few days I have noticed something on both sides of it. The Anthias was pre quarantined for 4 weeks. Is this disease or possibly from hiding in the rock work?

May be uronema but will need a pic of both sides under white light intensity

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about the white areas on either side, they appear to be raised scales to me. Have any of the other fish been aggressive towards the anthias? Otherwise, has the fish been eating and moving around much, or does it appear to be hiding?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like typical Uronema to me - more like a series of minor injuries.

Jay

OP
OP
F

frofan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No aggression has been seen. He hides in the rocks at night so that is the only potential for injury.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No aggression has been seen. He hides in the rocks at night so that is the only potential for injury.
Now that I see pics, agree with jay, thank goodness not uronema. I do see a few dots that represent ich and what looks like Bite marks. You may not see aggression but can be occurring in your absence. Nest time you go to feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t likely see minor aggression - it may happen just once or twice in 24 hours, and while you are watching the fish, they stop fighting and watch you.
One trick is to set your phone to video the tank and then leave the room. Watch for any interaction where one fish and for another, even if they don’t make contact that time, they could be doing so at other times.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the Anthias heal on his own?
If the aggression settles down, yes.

Now, there is still the issue of secondary bacterial infection, that is a wild card. Kind of like how you can get a splinter with no issue, but another person might get a serious infection.

You do know that this species can be delicate when they first arrive from overseas?

Do you know what quarantine process the fish went through?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 130 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back