Idea 120 Gallon Reef with only nano fish

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up an old 120-gallon tank I have. Going with a 55-gallon sump/refugium focusing heavily on macroalgae/pod growth for all the pod eaters I want. I am thinking about doing all nano fish with the solon wrasse and flame angel as the centerpiece fish. How is my stocking list looking?

1. Purple Firefish
  2. Bangaii Cardinalfish (x2)
  3. Yellow Striped Cardinalfish (x2)
  4. Neon Goby (x2)
  5. Flaming Prawn Goby (x2)
  6. Green Banded Goby (x3)
  7. Green Clown Goby (x2)
  8. Hi fin Red Banded Goby (x2)
  9. Court Jester Goby
  10. Two Spot Goby (x2)
  11. Green Mandarin Dragonet
  12. Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
  13. Royal Gramma
  14. McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse
  15. Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
  16. Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse
  17. Flame Fairy Wrasse
  18. Tail Spot Blenny
  19. Midas Blenny
  20. Blue Green Reef Chromis
  21. Ocellaris Clownfish (x2)
  22. Orchid Dottyback
  23. Yellowtail Damselfish
  24. Flame Angelfish

Also possibly considering a six-line wrasse as the very last fish added and maybe blue striped pipefish. I've heard the flagtails are fine in strong currents (correct me if I'm wrong)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you consider these fish to be "nano" species? Flame angels, clowns, and fairy wrasses aren't exactly petite.

I'd cut your fish list in half -- that's a lot of fish, even for a 120g, because many of them will be competing for the same habitat. If you want to increase the bioload (slowly!), then think about species that live in the water column, such as the (very small) pygmy whitespotted filefish.

I love orchid dottybacks, but I'd get a pair. My singletons are fine, but they always seem to be more vibrant when they're paired.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you consider these fish to be "nano" species? Flame angels, clowns, and fairy wrasses aren't exactly petite.

I'd cut your fish list in half -- that's a lot of fish, even for a 120g, because many of them will be competing for the same habitat. If you want to increase the bioload (slowly!), then think about species that live in the water column, such as the (very small) pygmy whitespotted filefish.

I love orchid dottybacks, but I'd get a pair. My singletons are fine, but they always seem to be more vibrant when they're paired.
Yea I should've reworded it to mostly nano fish. I think I'm going to ditch the flame angel actually. I'll have to cut down the list probably by instead of doing a lot of pairs just single specimens. Never heard of white-spotted filefish are they reef-safe?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filefish is entirely reef safe. That being said, this species has a largely subtropical range and show little interest in corals. I have one which coexists with a tiny radial filefish in an Evo reef. It spends its time buzzing around the top of the water column.

Fishkins88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a beautiful tank . In my opinion having more chromosomes would be cool for the schooling potential

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back