Idea for an eaiser maintenance fry tank.

joekidwell

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
287
Reaction score
189
Location
Greeneville TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished another fry tank daily water change and thought to myself, there has to be an easier way. I've already found on Google some 10" rolled filter paper like what people uses for filter rollers in the sump, it would fit the bottom of a 10 gallon perfectly. What if I glued some rollers at very bottom of each corner and threaded the paper through, then back up top with the help of a hand crank, after siphoning the water out you crank the roll until clean paper covers the entire bottom.

Some fry may be on the paper and depending if I don't have it very tight, some fry may get under the paper. If a fry isn't swimming it's pretty much a goner anyways.

Worth a shot or waste of time? It could easily be automated if you siphoned the water through a permanent sieve and had a motor for the roller. The key would be to have it as tight as possible to not allow too much detritus to go underneath the paper, possibly additional rollers to keep the paper down.
 
At first it seems like there may be some issues with food getting trapped, but it still may be worth building a prototype and failing forward. Even if this doesn't work, it may turn into something else. Good luck with your experiment!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new