Idea for an eaiser maintenance fry tank.

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished another fry tank daily water change and thought to myself, there has to be an easier way. I've already found on Google some 10" rolled filter paper like what people uses for filter rollers in the sump, it would fit the bottom of a 10 gallon perfectly. What if I glued some rollers at very bottom of each corner and threaded the paper through, then back up top with the help of a hand crank, after siphoning the water out you crank the roll until clean paper covers the entire bottom.

Some fry may be on the paper and depending if I don't have it very tight, some fry may get under the paper. If a fry isn't swimming it's pretty much a goner anyways.

Worth a shot or waste of time? It could easily be automated if you siphoned the water through a permanent sieve and had a motor for the roller. The key would be to have it as tight as possible to not allow too much detritus to go underneath the paper, possibly additional rollers to keep the paper down.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At first it seems like there may be some issues with food getting trapped, but it still may be worth building a prototype and failing forward. Even if this doesn't work, it may turn into something else. Good luck with your experiment!

Max Ohm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a lot of work when you could just use a squeegee

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back