Ideas for algae eating animals with the following conditions:

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tangs, blennies, not a bottle of bacteria; no crabs, urchins or snails. New tank Cade 1800 S2. Building a mixed reef. Focus is on smaller fish, corals and other inverts. Not looking for a bunch of big free swimming fish.

Looking for a filamentous algae eater. I’m considering a foxface, but I would prefer to keep smaller species, as stated above. Could make an exception. Also would consider a flame angel or coral beauty, but I don’t think I want to go there right now and risk a coral muncher at this early stage. I do currently have one urchin that came with some live rock, so not looking for another. Have some pods and will be adding more later.

Are there any other small animals that I should consider for this purpose? I’m not really trying to solve an acute problem, just looking for more options.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No tangs, blennies, not a bottle of bacteria; no crabs, urchins or snails. New tank Cade 1800 S2. Building a mixed reef. Focus is on smaller fish, corals and other inverts. Not looking for a bunch of big free swimming fish.

Looking for a filamentous algae eater. I’m considering a foxface, but I would prefer to keep smaller species, as stated above. Could make an exception. Also would consider a flame angel or coral beauty, but I don’t think I want to go there right now and risk a coral muncher at this early stage. I do currently have one urchin that came with some live rock, so not looking for another. Have some pods and will be adding more later.

Are there any other small animals that I should consider for this purpose? I’m not really trying to solve an acute problem, just looking for more options.
Carribean blue leg hermits
Scribbled rabbit
Rainford goby

Dwarf angels likely not. What you dont want happens to be the typical industry algae eaters.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly chitons? I know a few places sell them, but I'm not entirely sure what algae species the ones available would go for. Alternatively, Rusalty's Green Lantern Shrimp (Hippolyte zostericola) are herbivorous, reportedly feeding primarily on diatoms and macroalgae:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limpets and abalone were not placed upon the exclusion list, otherwise I can't think that there are any small animals that fit the description supplied?
Im unfamiliar with those sp. I’ll look it up.

Some of the reasons I have for excluding groups of animals may also have exceptions.

For instance, I’m excluding blennies based on my understanding that they are likely to much on corals and/or not be effective in some non-coral eating sp. Tangs and snails, I just don’t want right now. I have some Nass snails for detritus. Excluding drawf/pygmy angels bc or potential coral nipping and shrimp snacks. I don’t trust crabs at this point to not be opportunistic.

Looking up your ideas now.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scribbled rabbit
Rainford goby

Dwarf angels likely not. What you dont want happens to be the typical industry algae eaters.
I’ll look the scribbled rabbit up, not familiar with that guy.

Will the rainford make any impact on a 6ft tank? It might not matter really. I think I will get him regardless based on size and appearance. Thank man. Looking for lots of small fish and that fits the bill. I have considered this before, I just needed a little push.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ll look the scribbled rabbit up, not familiar with that guy.

Will the rainford make any impact on a 6ft tank? It might not matter really. I think I will get him regardless based on size and appearance. Thank man. Looking for lots of small fish and that fits the bill. I have considered this before, I just needed a little push.
Impact with algae- It should . Another would be Sphinx goby

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scribbled rabbit
Rainford goby

You trust this variety of hermit crab in an aspiring peaceful mixed reef setting with lots of wimps (fish, invertebrates and otherwise) in the tank? I was looking for hermits, but I’m not sure I trust the true crabs. There are often exceptions in nature for sure. Ive been out of this for 20 years +, so still on a bit of a re-learning/learning curve. I know opinions will vary, but what cha think?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You trust this variety of hermit crab in an aspiring peaceful mixed reef setting with lots of wimps (fish, invertebrates and otherwise) in the tank? I was looking for hermits, but I’m not sure I trust the true crabs. There are often exceptions in nature for sure. Ive been out of this for 20 years +, so still on a bit of a re-learning/learning curve. I know opinions will vary, but what cha think?
These are Very tiny and love algae. Many confuse with red leg and blue leg hermits

These:

1708031298250.png

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find someone who converted saltwater mollies. But others have said such as abalone, certain cowrys, some really cool hermits like blue knuckle or holloween. Snails like astrea or turbo, turbo the tends to be bulldozers though so make sure everything is solid or itll get knocked over lol. Some blennies wont hurt coral. But also some arent really algae eaters but will graze.

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really consider lawnmower blenny. It keeps my tank spotless. Its also fat as a pig constantly grazing on all the rocks/powerheas/glass.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alight, this thread has been very helpful. I’ve loosened up a bit with the no snails (other than the N. vibex I have) and no hermits. I pulled the trigger on some Caribbean blue legs and some dwarf Ceriths. Rainford goby definitely soon. Considering some of these others.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll strongly consider then. I’ll look around and see what others experiences are too since there is certainly intra-species variability.
Yeah, after a bit of research I’m not afraid of coral munching anymore. Seems like starvation is a thing though. I think I might give it a go and be prepared with various foods. I might roll down to the lfs and pick one up tomorrow. I’m going to assume it won’t eat hair algae and then I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it does. Seems to be hit or miss with eating hair algae.

OP
OP
Bacon and Eggs

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly chitons? I know a few places sell them, but I'm not entirely sure what algae species the ones available would go for. Alternatively, Rusalty's Green Lantern Shrimp (Hippolyte zostericola) are herbivorous, reportedly feeding primarily on diatoms and macroalgae:
This green lantern is a different bird. Probably worth a go. They are so tiny.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back