Ideas for breaking up frozen shrimp "sheets"?

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been trying to think of an easier way for myself to cut up my frozen food sheets I buy from my LFS. Ya know, those big frozen sheets of mysis or brine shrimp?

I currently just take a big knife and cut horizonally and then vertically to get decent size cubes and then store all the cubes in a gallon size ziploc bag. Problem with this is I have to take whole sheet out of bag, and then when I put all the cubes in the ziploc they eventually kind of merge together where I can't easily cut them again.

What do you guys do?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mysis sheets or DIY frozen food I make, I cut into cubes with a serrated knife and then place cubes on a cookie sheet to refreeze. Once frozen again, they go into a ziplock bag. By refreezing, they are less likely to stick back together.

1587598639985.png

OP
OP
T

talh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will refreeze first this time. Thanks!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put chunks in the little plastic dip cups. I bought around 200 1 oz cups and lids. I fill my cups with the portions and put them back in the freezer. Pull out one cup when ready to feed.
E9732340-B23E-4EF8-91A1-BB768B0B03E6.jpeg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I break off my Rods Food with a pair of plastic pliers I got for clamping brake hoses some millennia ago. Works great and allows me control of how much I portion out.

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use the corner of the counter and break them up. You can’t really measure the amount that way but if it’s to big of a chunk I thaw it and refreeze what is leftover.

missycme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been trying to think of an easier way for myself to cut up my frozen food sheets I buy from my LFS. Ya know, those big frozen sheets of mysis or brine shrimp?

I currently just take a big knife and cut horizonally and then vertically to get decent size cubes and then store all the cubes in a gallon size ziploc bag. Problem with this is I have to take whole sheet out of bag, and then when I put all the cubes in the ziploc they eventually kind of merge together where I can't easily cut them again.

What do you guys do?
i get a wooden cutting board,a wide chisel,and a hammer and them lil pill size boxes and you know the rest im sure!:)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 66 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back