Ideas for Filtration in Sump?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doubling the size of my sump, (37-75) and I have an area of my sump with no idea what to put in there, besides live rock, but I don't think I will be able to put much in there. I will be putting an algae reactor in my sump, so a refugium seems kind of redundant. Area is 12"×18". ThanK you.

JohnnyDreadlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try out some cryptic filtration if possible. Just an area for the darker organisms to breed and help filter out more water.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm doubling the size of my sump, (37-75) and I have an area of my sump with no idea what to put in there, besides live rock, but I don't think I will be able to put much in there. I will be putting an algae reactor in my sump, so a refugium seems kind of redundant. Area is 12"×18". ThanK you.

How many chambers will you have in the new sump and what do you have planned for each chamber?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Outside the sump
Is it going to be inline or will it have its own return pump?

A couple of possibilities for the other chamber is additional biological media such as live rock (or comparable), or a refugium with the primary purpose of growing live microorganism the would automatically get pumped to the tank. I would also encourage you to look at designs for higher end new sumps. Good luck!

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A couple of possibilities for the other chamber is additional biological media such as live rock (or comparable), or a refugium with the primary purpose of growing live microorganism the would automatically get pumped to the tank. I would also encourage you to look at designs for higher end new sumps. Good luck!
It will have it's own pump.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most sumps basically come with a filter sock section, protein skimmer section, refugium, and then return pump section. Here and there an ATO reservoir section, also not necessary for me.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most sumps basically come with a filter sock section, protein skimmer section, refugium, and then return pump section. Here and there an ATO reservoir section, also not necessary for me.

Another option would be in-sump reactor(s).

Wolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cancel the reactor and put the algae in the middle chamber with a light... the micro fauna will benifit your tank and give you more options for stocking your dt later down the road

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cancel the reactor and put the algae in the middle chamber with a light... the micro fauna will benifit your tank and give you more options for stocking your dt later down the road
Maybe I will do that. I think a refugium will be more biodiverse than just an algae reactor too. I'll run biopellet rather than algae in my reactor. Wow R2R looks way different.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will do that. I think a refugium will be more biodiverse than just an algae reactor too. I'll run biopellet rather than algae in my reactor. Wow R2R looks way different.

I think that's a great idea. It's surprising how much more biodiverse a refugium can be.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back