Kole tang
2 anthias
2 clownfish
2 wrasse
1 small goby

NIRTATE : 0.2

Running reefmat500

Not running skimmer at all.

I do have hair algae growing in only certain areas of the tank. Like 2 rocks have a ton and the rest have nothing. Is that consuming all my nitrate ?

I’m against dosing nitrate but maybe I should ?

My thoughts to add nitrate is just more fish , is this algae consuming my nitrate or is it just to low of a bioload and my reefmat is stripping the water clean ?

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you at zero nitrates? If so, Sodium Nitrate is a good dosing option. Don't forget about phosphates also.

More feeding also works.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more. It will raise nitrates whether it is consumed or not.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background:
425xl RSR (115g total)

Current fish
Kole tang
2 anthias
2 clownfish
2 wrasse
1 small goby

NIRTATE : 0.2

Running reefmat500

Not running skimmer at all.

I do have hair algae growing in only certain areas of the tank. Like 2 rocks have a ton and the rest have nothing. Is that consuming all my nitrate ?

I’m against dosing nitrate but maybe I should ?

My thoughts to add nitrate is just more fish , is this algae consuming my nitrate or is it just to low of a bioload and my reefmat is stripping the water clean ?
Why do want to increase nitrates at this time?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove nuisance algae that you can before giving them more fuel. Algae have been around a long time and are pretty good at getting food from the water column, though, so maybe lighting or phosphate could be contributing?

I guess my point is, I'd be hesitant to add more nitrate until I knew specifically why it was so low first yet you have a decent amount of algae.

Someone more knowledgeable than I will probably have some suggestions.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef Matt addition tends to have been stripping my nitrates way more then before. I’ll test phosphates later when I get back

Want nitrates higher as I tend to see better results in my LPS when it’s higher. I believe some algae is from bottomed out nitrate here and there

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations? I’m considering a yellow tang
Dose nitrate but measure phosphate first. I had to dose both. Everyone says feed more or add more fish. This did nothing for me. I have 8 fish, 4 mollies, lawnmower blenny, chalk bass, possum wrasse and a CBB. I added the mollies because everyone said add more fish. Tank is about 40 gallons total and been running in it's current state for over a year. I feed multiple times a day with a frozen mix. Return pump off and tank flooded with food so it looks like a snow storm. Still had to dose to keep N and P detectable so the statement add more fish / feeding more isn't always the answer even tho its the first thing most people say to do. Tank has stabilized somewhat and I rarely have to dose N any longer but still dose P daily.
EDIT. Also I dose manually so no fancy dosing pumps or controllers to fail if that's a concern of your?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations? I’m considering a yellow tang

I'm a big fan of tangs for sure. Used to have a Kole + YT in a 4' tank no issues. I'd bump your anthias count up as well.

I'm not too familiar with Reefmat. Do they have a way to bypass? I would start bypassing some water too

Back