Ideas to get rid of flatworms

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks I’m a year into this hobby and I thought i rounded the corner, but it seems I have a crazy infestation of flatworms. Now I don’t know the types or terms for types, but I’m looking for ideas to decimate the population without crashing my tank. Pic is below of these lil buggers all over my glass. I’ve been researching and some say wrasses and some say Salifert Exit.....what do you all recommend?
22D719E9-8FCE-4DB8-8C43-04981CCBBE01.jpeg

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my $0.02, dont do anything and they will eventually kill themselves off. coming from having the exact same looking picture myself, just give it time.

Those Flatworms were harmless in my tank, the population boomed and then busted. I no longer see them in mine and I didnt do anything special to remove them. never seemed to touch my SPS, LPS, zoas, etc...

One thing i did do, is during the light hours i would clean the glass to knock them off. My yellow wrasse would grab a few, but it wasnt like it alone took out the population.

OP
OP
WirelessMike

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my $0.02, dont do anything and they will eventually kill themselves off. coming from having the exact same looking picture myself, just give it time.

Those Flatworms were harmless in my tank, the population boomed and then busted. I no longer see them in mine and I didnt do anything special to remove them. never seemed to touch my SPS, LPS, zoas, etc...

One thing i did do, is during the light hours i would clean the glass to knock them off. My yellow wrasse would grab a few, but it wasnt like it alone took out the population.
Thanks! I haven’t seen them affect any of my corals but I do have some orange zoas that have been really angry since I noticed this onset. I’m thinking about a wrasse, but not sure.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A got a Springers damsel which wiped those out in my biocube in no time. Those are harmless anyway. Red planaria on the other hand are extremely hard to get rid of without chemical warfare just due to the sheer quickness they multiply. I have 3 Springers in my 30g and they don't make a dent. I have flatworm exit but I haven't used it simply because the flatworms have yet to cause harm to any LPS or SPS. They do climb one Daisy d soft coral I have but i don't like it or have any other softies. A quick dip in revive clears it but they come right back.

bbt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do the flat worm exit, we did it in our 250 gallon tank and it literally wiped out 80 % of our fish population and $500 worth of coral. Don’t take the chance. After this we reinvested in more fish, got everything running great, and they came back anyways.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back