Ideas to raise PH

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank has been up and running for about 2 months now. I just got an Apex and finally got to see what my PH was at. I hadn't tested before. I've had issues in the past with PH. Something I don't understand as I don't have a tightly sealed house at all. House was built in 1950 and isn't even insulated.

Anyways my PH is at 7.6 falling to 7.5 at night. I am running a full refugium with Chaeto/Miracle Mud and Live rock. Currently lit by a PAR38 Bulb, but soon will be replaced with Neptune Gro Light. Just waiting on Mount. Refugium light is on 24/7. Been growing Chaeto pretty well.

The room I have the tank in is in the middle of the house not near any doors, so I know that's one issue, I do have a window in the room, but opening the window in 100+ Louisiana summers or even winters is not ideal. I'm not running a skimmer, so no CO2 Scrubber for me, I didn't have much success running that on my last tank anyways as media ran out so fast, was impossible to keep stable.

My idea is to put in a Window A/C unit. This would bring in fresh air from outside and help cool my house in addition to my main A/C unit. I could keep the window unit fan running 24/7 so its always bringing in outside air into the room. I dont' care if it burns the unit out in 2 years, I'd just replace it.

Would this work? Or am I deluding myself?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly others have said that the apex probe needs a break in period and calibration. Instead of an A/C you can run some tubing to the air inlet on your skimmer. Then just run that line outside.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly others have said that the apex probe needs a break in period and calibration. Instead of an A/C you can run some tubing to the air inlet on your skimmer. Then just run that line outside.
Already said I don't have a skimmer. Also this apex was used for almost a year, same with Trident. So no break in needed.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already said I don't have a skimmer. Also this apex was used for almost a year, same with Trident. So no break in needed.
Sorry, missed that. How about surface agitation? I keep mine constantly roiling. I always leave the window cracked in the fish room also.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, missed that. How about surface agitation? I keep mine constantly roiling. I always leave the window cracked in the fish room also.
Have tons of surface agitation already. Also already said I can't have a window open in Louisiana Summers/Winters.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tons of surface agitation already. Also already said I can't have a window open in Louisiana Summers/Winters.
Hot here also. Wife complains. Window A/C would do the trick. Was trying for some cheaper options. There are also Ph buffers out there that can be dosed. They will increase alkalinity though.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure they just expel the hot air from the compressor outside and recirculate the cool indoor air.
Yea just googled it. You are correct. Well that kills this idea...sigh. Why is raising PH in a tank so difficult.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had pH issues.... even with a skimmer. It wasn't until I started dosing with Reef Buffer (which raises alk) that my PH started leveling out at 8.3 during the day and 8.1 at night. Phyto also helped I think, can't prove. Turns out my RODI water just starts with lower pH which was the issue all along.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea just googled it. You are correct. Well that kills this idea...sigh. Why is raising PH in a tank so difficult.
Without a skimmer, your best bet is kalk or using Randy's 2 part recipe with added pH boost.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression they pulled air from outside, kinda the whole point of it being in the window.
No, they condition room air, they need to be in a window to exhaust the heat from the room to the outside.
Your options are a scrubber, skimmer to outside air, or outside air to airstone which might help some.
Adding kalk will (also) raise alk to unacceptable levels, unless you have a high alk demand tank.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had pH issues.... even with a skimmer. It wasn't until I started dosing with Reef Buffer (which raises alk) that my PH started leveling out at 8.3 during the day and 8.1 at night. Phyto also helped I think, can't prove. Turns out my RODI water just starts with lower pH which was the issue all along.
nah I dose phyto everyday, has no effect on PH

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.5-7.6 is problematic and will start to cause issues with coral skeletons. Are you sure it’s that low? The apex pH probe can be hard to calibrate. You might also want to double check the measurements.

I’m in the process of having an ERV (energy recovery ventilation) unit installed. I’m also in Texas with 100+ days. It brings in fresh air, but also does it in an energy efficient manner. Not sure if that’s an option for you.

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good to know! It's definitely the reef buffer by seachem then
Hi. Isn't the reef buffer the same as their reef fusion 2? I've used reef fusion and it does raise pH but it's only temporary. I've also used kalk. Also the pH rise is temp. I'm trying to figure out how to keep pH elevated as well. Mine never goes above 7.8.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Isn't the reef buffer the same as their reef fusion 2? I've used reef fusion and it does raise pH but it's only temporary. I've also used kalk. Also the pH rise is temp. I'm trying to figure out how to keep pH elevated as well. Mine never goes above 7.8.
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with reef fusion 2.

I know there are products out there that are just sodium bicarbonate and can only get the tank to 8.0. "The low buffering pK is a function of the low carbonate/bicarbonate ratio." This is what I read when I was doing my research. I found it to be true and believed this is why I had challenges in the beginning. I don't have this problem with Reef buffer by seachem.

Back