Identifaction help

martynhardy0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. This is my first post on reef2reef. I normally browse but never contribute. Iv just discovered a white substance which looks gooey behind some of my live rock. I spend quite a bit of time admiring my tank so I feel its appeared quite quick. Everything else in my tank seems fine. All my soft corals and fish look and are acting as they usually do. Parameters are all stable and consistent with how they are and have been for as long as I can remember. Any help is appreciated.
20211013_203305.jpg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be a variety of sponge. Typically harmless filter feeders but when they grow too close to corals they can smother over them. I'd remove it. Pull it off and scrub the rock with a toothbrush during your next water change.

OP
OP
M

martynhardy0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be a variety of sponge. Typically harmless filter feeders but when they grow too close to corals they can smother over them. I'd remove it. Pull it off and scrub the rock with a toothbrush during your next water change.
Thank you. I was hoping it would be a sponge over anything else but looked a bit slimy to me.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is sponge it will have at least a slight firmness to it. If it's completely gelatinous then it's likely a bacterial bloom and should be siphoned off immediately, followed by a water change. I've seen bacterial masses look similar as well. Either way, I'd remove it being that close to coral.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a sponge, does it have a siphon?
Opinions surely vary, but I have quite a few in the display and sump. Good at absorbing silicates.
I pull them out when the get too close to the zoas, but otherwise I Ieave them alone.

OP
OP
M

martynhardy0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a sponge, does it have a siphon?
Opinions surely vary, but I have quite a few in the display and sump. Good at absorbing silicates.
I pull them out when the get too close to the zoas, but otherwise I Ieave them alone.
It appears to have a syphon at the top. If I'm honest they are only a few zoa on the back of my rock. I'm not to concerned about them so I will probably leave it be for now. Thank you for your help.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to have a syphon at the top. If I'm honest they are only a few zoa on the back of my rock. I'm not to concerned about them so I will probably leave it be for now. Thank you for your help.
and meant to welcome you to the site, and there are a whole lot of friendly folks who are more than happy to help out, give you a range of opinions, and you should be able to find your own path somewhere along the way

Good luck with the tank, the fact that you do have sponges may also mean you other micro and macro biota that should serve the tank well.

Nice little cardinals too - captive bred?

OP
OP
M

martynhardy0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and meant to welcome you to the site, and there are a whole lot of friendly folks who are more than happy to help out, give you a range of opinions, and you should be able to find your own path somewhere along the way

Good luck with the tank, the fact that you do have sponges may also mean you other micro and macro biota that should serve the tank well.

Nice little cardinals too - captive bred?
Thank you. Like I said in my original post I always visit the site as there is a wealth of knowledge shared here. I have very little to provide but it's fantastic to have somewhere when help or guidance is required.

Yes they are captive bred. I purchased them a couple of months back from my local fish store in Lincoln.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back