Identification of the fish parasite

Kvizak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any idea what kind of thing could this be? I found it already 3 times in my quarantine tank where I have several fish now for one week with UV sterilizer and Ruby Reef Rally.. it looks like internal parasite?… according to the size (approx. 4-5cm) it could be only from Valencienna sexguttata or Quoyi Parrotfish… (second picture is body, 3rd head under microscope)… any idea?

IMG_6730.jpeg IMG_6733.jpeg IMG_6735.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6756.mov
    18.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That isn't any parasite that I'm familiar with. In the video, it look like fecal bolus, covered in mucus. How large is the parrotfish? I suspect it is from that fish.

Large internal parasites include tapeworms and Nematodes, and this isn't either of those. Additionally, for large internal parasites, they can live for years inside the animal that they infect, to find them being expelled three times in a few weeks is unlikely, unless you have been dosing the fish with a anti-worm treatment?

Jay

OP
OP
K

Kvizak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That isn't any parasite that I'm familiar with. In the video, it look like fecal bolus, covered in mucus. How large is the parrotfish? I suspect it is from that fish.

Large internal parasites include tapeworms and Nematodes, and this isn't either of those. Additionally, for large internal parasites, they can live for years inside the animal that they infect, to find them being expelled three times in a few weeks is unlikely, unless you have been dosing the fish with a anti-worm treatment?

Jay

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Thank you, Jay. The parrot fish is around 20-25cm… I was surprised with the white line strucuture of the cover (pic 2 under microscope)… inside it was quite soft and melted… but muculus might be the reason… thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Jay. The parrot fish is around 20-25cm… I was surprised with the white line strucuture of the cover (pic 2 under microscope)… inside it was quite soft and melted… but muculus might be the reason… thank you

Of course, if you saw it MOVING (not just in the water current) then that would confirm it was alive....

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back